Royal Icing On Fondant???

Decorating By Melody25 Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 7:42pm by Rocketgirl899

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:44am
post #1 of 7

I need to do a checkerboard pattern on a cake for next weekend. I was going to mix up some black royal icing and use that with a stencil. What recipe do I use for this??? TIA

6 replies
Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:55am
post #2 of 7

I buy my Royal Icing mix.... so I can't help ou there, but if you are already covering the cake in fondant, might I suggest you make black fondant and get a square cookie cutter? in the end IMO it will be bast/easier icon_smile.gif

Melody25 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:59am
post #3 of 7

Every time I've made black fondant its come out horribly. I don't really want to mess with it this time. It's for my nieces birthday, and no one in my family likes Fondant. The only reason I'm covering it in fondant is because of the design.

JSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSuzieQ Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:54am
post #4 of 7

You can put RI on fondant, but be careful of the color running. I make my royal icing with 3 egg whites, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 tsp. almond extract and 3 cups of powered sugar. First beat the eggs and flavorings until frothy and then add the powered sugar (mixing in one cup at a time). What problem are you having making black fondant? If you are using a high-concentrate color, you shouldn't have a big problem. Also, you should let your colored fondant sit for a day to let the color really set in. (blacks and reds especially)

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:04pm
post #5 of 7

I generally just buy the Wilton Black fondant when I want Black.

When I make royal icing it is powdered sugar, meringue powder, and water. Pretty simple. But a true black is hard with certain brands of color. I know that some brands work better than others but all I've used is the Wilton as it is readily available.

Good luck!

Melody25 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 1:09pm
post #6 of 7

Maybe I'll make 1/2 a batch of black and just add the coloring in the beginning. Maybe that was my problem before. I kneaded the color in after it was already made, and I probably used to much black. I'll try that before I go on to RI

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 7

you can also mix in chocolate powder to get black.. or see if your cake place sells black fondant in like a 1lb bag?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%