Candy Melts Is Not Working ..please Help!!!

Sugar Work By kuki Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 2:03am by sweetcravings

kuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuki Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 8

I am making some lollipops with candy melts for my son class but I am gettin frustated because I am very careful with the hit and to no use water it all so my chocolate don't sezt and after I took them out of the fridge they have the white spots and they don't shine.. what can I do please help... icon_cry.gif

7 replies
Polish_princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polish_princess Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 8

It could be that the candy melts are old, or have been stored in either too hot or too cold temp.

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 8

Some candy melts are tempered and some aren't.
The chocolate is iffy.

kuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuki Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 8

I just bought it yesterday in Michelle's May be I should take the ones close back...I bought like 10 bags in diferent colors

Polish_princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polish_princess Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:04am
post #5 of 8

I would try again, open another bag and see if you get the same result.
How have you cleaned your molds??
Make sure only to clean them with cotton tips or a dry towel.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:05am
post #6 of 8

Besides what already has been said, you might have gotten the choco too hot.
How long did you leave them in the frig? It should take only about 5 minutes.
Check the info on the bag was to expiration date or batch #. If all the bags are the same after trying one more time then take them back. Just because you bought them all at the same time does not mean the were all made/pkg'd the same time.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 1:44am
post #7 of 8

[quote="kakeladi"]Besides what already has been said, you might have gotten the choco too hot.
How long did you leave them in the frig? It should take only about 5 minutes.
quote]

I agree: probably got them too hot while melting them and then too cold when setting up in the fridge.

Real chocolate is "tempered", meaning it has been heated to a perfect temperature that creates crystal formations lined up properly during molding and makes it crack nicely & come out shiny.

Candy melts aren't real chocolate, but they can have temperature issues where under too much heat, the oils come to the surface and then when cooled quickly, the oils on the surface form a white film.

You can re-melt what you've got and start over. They should work fine, if they again, don't get too hot.

HTH
Rae

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:03am
post #8 of 8

You know it's funny to see your post tonight. I just finished covering some marshmallows with merkens candy melts and noticed that the orange color has formed a very dull, kinda whitish appearance to them. I'm glad they are just for me.
When i bought them at the bulk store they looked like they had 'bloom' on them, perhaps this is why. It looked ok once melted but once cooled it appeared the bloom showed again. I don't know how to fix it and am interested to hear what others say.
Unfortunately this is the only place i know of to get my choco from in the area..all the choco they have is like that..geesh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%