In A Pickle

Business By buckeyebelle Updated 4 Oct 2008 , 11:35pm by drowsyrn

buckeyebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buckeyebelle Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 10

I am from a small town in Ohio. I use the yahoo groups to an advantage of advertising my business. Ever since I started doing that others have now jumped on the banned wagon saying they sell baked goodies/treats/cakes etc. and some have now posted a website as I had done before they even thought of it. How do I go about making sure my prices are right, the products are superior to theirs, and so on? I do have business cards and postcards that I use to advertise too. I think some people have some nerve of copying an idea off of me. Should I post that they have some nerve of doing what they are doing or just keep my mouth shut?

I am also testing out new recipes that are unique and different to others as well as posting pictures in my gallery online.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

9 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 10

First never compare your services to others everyone is different. DO check around for what others are pricing their cakes at so that you aren't shortchanging yourself. Do figure out what your ingredients cost to make your cakes than you can price accordingly.
How to do better than the next one use the best ingredients that you can afford, learn something new every chance you get, and give the best customer service that you can.

hth

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 10

Unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do, other than to try and be the best. I do have to say though that selling baked goods isnt exactly a new idea.

kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 10

I feel your pain, but the fact of the matter is that no matter whose idea it was they have every right to take advantage of any advertising options that anyone else does. We all share ideas here, and share information from making a tasty fondant to running the business itself. In this day and age, you have to expect that people online are going to like and copy your ideas, whether or not you gave them permission. An example, is Heath's post about cake photos showing up on other people's webpages.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but try to think of it as a compliment that you had such a wonderful idea they couldn't resist putting their own spin on it. Take the high road, and don't post anything negative. In the long run, customers like honorable vendors, along with a good price and great taste.

Kathy

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 10

Why would the wagon be banned?

Mike

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 3:29am
post #6 of 10

Mike you dirty dog! You beat me to it!

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:03pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Why would the wagon be banned?

Mike

Mike- the wagon was old and rusty. It had to be banned, for the sake of the children. Please Mike, think of the children.

icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 10

HAHAHAHA!!!! A banned wagon.. the children.. Bwahahahahaha!!!

Anyway.. as for your gripe there really isn't anything to gripe about. People sell baked goods.. especially in a state that has cottage laws making it SUPER easy to set up "shop". You aren't the first and you won't be the last to a. sell baked goods and b. use the internet to push your products or c. have a website. Just be the best you can be at what you do and your customers will come.

I would check around and see what they are pricing at, but don't feel you have to lower your price to compete. You have to be sure you are making it worth it for you to continue to do what you do. Editing to add that if they are priced at rock bottom prices.. they will burn out quick.. you just have to sit back and watch.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 10

ROFLMBO...Banned wagon....children!!!! I may have scared the neighbors laffing!!!!! icon_lol.gif

drowsyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowsyrn Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:35pm
post #10 of 10

Competition is a good thing. It will never go away.

Use it as a motivator!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%