Tinting Fondant- Can't Quite Reach The Shade That I Want.

Decorating By bellabiaggio Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 2:18am by bkkimberly

bellabiaggio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellabiaggio Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:43am
post #1 of 6

Please help! I am having a hard time reaching the color that I want when tinting my fondant. I feel like its a shot in the dark, maybe it will...maybe it won't be the color that I have in my head. Should I mix different gel pastes together before adding them in or add them separately? I have only used single colors so far. Last week, I added half of the 1 oz bottle of Wilton brown, but never achieved the rich, chocolatey shade that I was hoping for...maybe I should have used Choco-pan or Wilton's already prepared brown? Fondant is expensive and I would hate to waste any that went past the point of no return. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

5 replies
sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:59am
post #2 of 6

You can do it, it just takes a LOT. even half a bottle might now be enough if your tinting a whole batch a dark color. I roll my fondant out just a little, to flatten the ball a bit, use a toothpick or a butterknife and spread the color on, and the roll it up and kneed. This works well for me, I've gotten shades of dark blue fairly easily. Ive also heard of people adding coloring when you add the lemon juice and vanilla in making MMF, which I have not tried but sounds like it would save a lot of kneeding.

Pastry-Panda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastry-Panda Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:06am
post #3 of 6

I had to make 3 lbs of dark brown fondant and it took like 1 1/2 half bottles , and then of course it darkens as it set overnight.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:09am
post #4 of 6

I recommend satin ice. I buy it in every color they have (white, ivory, red, black, brown, yellow, green, blue, purple & pink) and then use those colors together to mix custom colors. MUCH easier than trying to color with gels and pastes.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:12am
post #5 of 6

I don't like spending the money on ALL the colored fondants, but the dark colors (red, black, chocolate) are great. And I actually think the colored fondants are even a little easier to work with than the regular plain white...but I mostly still use white and color it myself.

bkkimberly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkkimberly Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:18am
post #6 of 6

Try useing chocolate mm for your fondant, makes it brown, plus taste yummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%