How Much Fondant Needed For These Accents On Cake???

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 6:54pm by sweetcravings

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 7

I'm really bad at estimating the amount of fondant needed for different cakes, esp since i've only recently just starting using it. I don't want to guess wrong since fondant is 6.00/lb at the local cake shop. By looking at this cake how much would you say i would have to buy?
LL

6 replies
SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 7

If it's just for the accents then you shouldn't use that much. I think you should be fine with a pound or two. But i'm no expert.. icon_lol.gif

Hopefully someone else can help you better than I can.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 7

If it is just for the accents, bow, stripes, and butterfly etc..and the cake is all buttercream, then I would say you would need about 2 pounds. Also has to do with what size cakes you are using. I would get 3 pounds just to be on the safe side, then you will have it. Nothing is worse than making a cake and running out of supplies! Hope this helps..good luck!

coffeechick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeechick Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 7

Hey, that cake is so cute you are going to do. I would suggest you would only need about 2 pounds. Thats pretty expensive for fondant. Have you ever tried to make your own fondant? Its so easy and it really cuts down on cost. It probably only cost less that 3.00 to make. Good luck.

cherie'

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 7

I agree, if it is just for the accents, you won't need much. You can roll accents much thinner than the actual cake cover. I am not sure that you would need more than a pound, but you might want to buy two just in case. It sucks to have to stop what you're doing and make a store run. Also, you could use the leftovers on some animals or people. (I just love making things out of fondant)

HTH,
happy baking
Mandi thumbs_up.gif

sweetcravings Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeechick

Hey, that cake is so cute you are going to do. I would suggest you would only need about 2 pounds. Thats pretty expensive for fondant. Have you ever tried to make your own fondant? Its so easy and it really cuts down on cost. It probably only cost less that 3.00 to make. Good luck.

cherie'

Do you have a good recipe you could share? I think i tried years ago to make fondant and it was a mess. I agree 6.00/lb is expensive but thats what the local cake shop sells it for. I don't get my stuff wholesale. icon_sad.gif

sweetcravings Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandifrye

I agree, if it is just for the accents, you won't need much. You can roll accents much thinner than the actual cake cover. I am not sure that you would need more than a pound, but you might want to buy two just in case. It sucks to have to stop what you're doing and make a store run. Also, you could use the leftovers on some animals or people. (I just love making things out of fondant)

HTH,
happy baking
Mandi thumbs_up.gif

I was thinking two or three myself so i guess i wasn't far off. I do hate having to make another trip to the store when i misjudged the amount needed. especially since the store is across town.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%