Royal Icing Lillypad?

Decorating By mandifrye Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 1:09am by mandifrye

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 4

Okay, so I am not all that familiar with Royal Icing. However, I know that you can make flowers and borders and many other things with it.

That being said, I have a froggy cake due next Tuesday. I am making several frogs (fondant and gumpaste 50/50). I would like to sit the largest frog on a lilly pad on top. I wanted it to be stiffer than fondant, so I was wondering if I can use royal icing to do it? I am about to make a batch for some cookies, and I could put some aside if that will work.

If it will, what do I put it on to dry? How long does it take to dry? Can I put it on an egg carton or flower former to shape it a little? Will it break if I sit the frog on it?

Thanks in advance,
mandi

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 4

Welllllllll it depends on how big you want this pad icon_smile.gif

Let's see..... I think I'd make it sort of like a colorflow piece.....outline the shape, then fill in, but thin the icing just a tiny bit & just smear it w/a spatula. You could put the piece on some toweling so it has some undulating to it....not perfectly flat.
It should not break especially if you make it on plastic wrap. It should take only overnight or a day or two to dry if you don't make it too thick.
Once dry it should not break when you set the frogs on it as long as you don't push down on them.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 4

I would just make your lilypad out of fondant/gumpaste and let it dry over a day or 2...

But as always (so far icon_wink.gif) Kakeladi is right icon_smile.gif

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:09am
post #4 of 4

Thanks guys, you all are always so much help.

I don't really want it that big, just thought that Royal might make it a little prettier (i know, frog cake pretty, icon_confused.gif )

I think I will try it!

Thanks again,
Mandi icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%