What? You Need An Edible School Project For Tomorrow??

Decorating By eatdessert1st Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 1:29pm by yummymummy

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 11

Don't ya hate it when your kids spring last minute school projects on you?
My DD, Sarah (11), sprang this on me when I picked her up from school yesterday afternoon. SHe had to have an edible project on an animal and a plant cell. Fortunately, I had some cake and mmf in the freezer and half a layer left over from a cake order I'm working on now. She used fruit roll ups and various candies for the cell parts and labeled them w/ wafer paper. Too funny! Her little sister just had to get in the pic w/ her icon_wink.gif
Please forgive the messy background. I have 3 little piggies for children.
LL

10 replies
tiersfromheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiersfromheaven Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:42am
post #2 of 11

OH SO ADORABLE!!! The kids and the cakes!! I just don't get why the teacher would ask for an edible project. How many kids in the class? I would think it would be too much food . . . unless she specifically asked your DD because of your skills icon_lol.gif

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:52am
post #3 of 11

I immediately thought of the "Arthur" cartoons when I saw this post. Specifically the one where Arthur's teacher tastes his dad's cakes and finds all kinds of excuses to have parties so Arthur will bring in cake!

Too funny! Your daughter's cake came out great! Enjoy these times, they're gone all too fast!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:03pm
post #4 of 11

Okay, you are such the cool mom!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:05pm
post #5 of 11

With 7 kids, I got used to this!
But I still don't know why teachers do this! I used to love it when I started back to work, and then I got this thrown at me last minute as I'm heading off to work.....up all night doing these things!

Yours turned out great and your daughter looks very happy!
Hope YOU got an 'A'.
I'm doing so much better this time around in school with 'my' projects!
Ha, ha.

iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 11

I did a cell cake in 7th grade for my life science class...it was super fun. Ya'll did a great job!

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 11

I wish my daughter had these types of projects. That is so awesome. I hope she gets a good grade for her mommy working so hard. I can just see the teacher snacking on all the goodies...lol

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 11

Awww, too cute! Great job mom!! I have 5 children myself...so no surprise there! Oh yeah...that mess in the background is appalling! Don't you clean? icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif ...you should see the mess my piggies made today! icon_rolleyes.gif

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 11

icon_biggrin.gif My son had this about two weeks ago. He is in the 9th grade and had LOTS of rules to follow (ie; no candy/substance can be used for more than one thing...etc) it was the wierdest looking "cake" I have ever seen!!! He used a bit of everything I think.....even Roman noodles!

P.S We scored 225 out of a possible 200 icon_wink.gif Let me know what yall get! LOL

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 1:20pm
post #10 of 11

I love ya'lls posts!! I always laugh on this board! icon_lol.gif
I got.... errr... I mean my daughter got an A thumbs_up.gif
You know, I thought it was a really wierd assignment, especially given the climate nowadays when you cannot bring in any treats to the school. Everything has to be "healthy." Gone are the days when you could bring in cookies or cupcakes for your kid's bday. Now they want you to bring in high fiber bran muffins or some such nonsense.
Yes, the cake came home (minus some bubble gum pieces icon_razz.gif ) and my 3 yr old made quick work of demolishing the poor cells. They looked like they had been attacked by the Ebola virus by the time Miss Kate was done with them! I'm sure this isn't the last assignment we'll be beginning and finishing the night before it's due. Sheesh! I need a raise!

Melanie Mc.

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 1:29pm
post #11 of 11

Yay!! Glad to hear it went over well. I know what you mean about the "health" craze at the schools. My kids can't even take fruit snacks that are made w/ all fruit juice and no added sugar! icon_confused.gif Anyway, sounds like the cake was a big hit. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%