Some Customers Really Get My Goat!!!

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 4:29am by Deb_

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 17

I had a regular customer who contacted me last Sunday for a cake for this sunday for her daughters first birthday.So I emailed pictures etc...It took her 4 days to hum and ha and ask stupid questions which could have all been asnwered on my website..she knew this...Finally I emailed her yesterday saying basically.."Look..I need to know because I will be baking my orders by wednesday and I have several other cakes that need attention also so do you want a cake or not"...not in those exact words.She pestered me on and off over the last 4 days and now she emails...We don't need the cake for sunday...we are going to bake our own cupcakes!! icon_mad.gificon_confused.gif

I mean this just pisses me off because she wasted my time and then basically says I don't want to pay your prices!!I even went out of my way to take this last minute booked cake on as I require more than a weeks notice.Grrr some people!!!Never again...If you wait until 4 days before to order a cake...which many do...it will be NO!!

16 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 17

"WHY"....... WHY do they do it ? I'm sorry you are upset, and next time stick to your guns...... Is it even POSSIBLE we can train them ? icon_lol.gif
((( HUGS ))))

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 17

Unfortunately, there are a few that are untrainable!

And sometimes they have to be put down so as not to subject others to their radical and sometimes dangerous behavior....HeHeHe!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 17

i think the yappy customers that waste your time are the worst part of this business....besides taxes HA HA

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 17

LOL, I've been dealing with (seems like) all the needy customers in the world for the past month. At least it's not just me!! I'm sorry she cancelled after using up so much of your time. I totally hate that.

Deanna

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 17

People will do that as long as they can get away with. My step-daughter's mother went to the local grocery store on the morning of her daughter's birthday (Wed.) to order cupcakes for her party that Saturday. I'm sure in her mind she's thinking, well it only takes an hour or so to bake cupcakes so why should I order far in advance. People are just clueless.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 17

There are some people who firmly believe that by waiting until the last minute, they will be ensured a "fresh" cake. I overheard someone comment to someone else that this is what they do. Too bad it was at the grocery store, where they truck in frozen cakes and do NOT bake fresh on site! And grocery stores rarely turn down an order, so people are used to ordering a day or two ahead of time and having no trouble getting their cake.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:34pm
post #8 of 17

shoot her.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

shoot her.

HA HA HA HA HA...snort!

you're getting a little more testy icon_razz.gif

but ya know...sometimes a slap just won't do it.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 17

Yup........ I had a horrid customer at work today.... she actually screamed at me.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:30pm
post #11 of 17

I give a deadline to anyone who requests info about a cake. I say "Because yours is not my only order, and I have a lot of details to attend to for each cake I make, I need to hear final details back from you by 5PM on X day. If I have not heard back from you by then, I will assume you don't want/need the cake." The deadline is usually 4-5 days before the event date. My clients must believe me, because most call me with details within a day of the initial contact and many give me final details when they place the order.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:20pm
post #12 of 17

Before pictures are exchanged ... before design is discussed .... before any time is invested .... ask one simple question:

"How much is your budget for this cake?" which is usually followed by, "oh .... well, here's what I can do for that amount."

Avoids all of these types of problems.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:36pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Before pictures are exchanged ... before design is discussed .... before any time is invested .... ask one simple question:

"How much is your budget for this cake?" which is usually followed by, "oh .... well, here's what I can do for that amount."

Avoids all of these types of problems.

What great advice.....short and sweet icon_smile.gif

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:33am
post #14 of 17

Smile at them...as you cover their face with a pastry bag at 2 in the morning and choke em into cake oblivion.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:09am
post #15 of 17

My favorite is the guy that works down the hall from me.
He says "do you make carrot cake?".
I say, "Why yes, I do".
"will you make me one when you have the time?"
"I'll make one for whenever you would like"
"whenever you get a chance will be fine"
"well, you really need to place an order"
"no, no, just whenever"
OK, now it's 3 weeks later and he comes to my office and says "when will I get my carrot cake?"
"WHEN YOU ORDER ONE!!"

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:49am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey2000

"when will I get my carrot cake?"

"Just as soon as your check clears." icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:29am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey2000

"when will I get my carrot cake?"

"Just as soon as your check clears." icon_biggrin.gif

O.k., indy......you really should write a book of "one liner replies" that we can all reference when our own brains don't function fast enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%