Need Help Making Ballet Slippers

Decorating By misha35 Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 6:05pm by BJ

misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:44am
post #1 of 4

Ok, I've made the gumpaste & figured out how to make it work.
I have my pattern pieces for the slippers cut out & was trying to fold top piece over 1/8" over the sole to get the slippers to look like the pics on line. I'm not having any luch getting the top piece wrapped slightly under the sole .... I guess I need 20 pairs of hands but since I have my one pair, can anyone give some advice?
also, what do we use for glue?

Thanks so much for any insight.

3 replies
Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 4

If you buy a pair of tiny baby shoes or socks, there is often a plastic form tucked in them, which, after you wash it, is helpful as a form to dry the gumpaste on. You can lightly grease it with shortening too. You might try looking for some kid's shoes for forms that would work (I gave the shoes to a friend, but pulled out the forms.) icon_rolleyes.gif

For glue, I soften equal parts gumpaste with water, let it sit overnight in a closed container. I've also read some people use pastuerized egg whites.

Hope this helps! thumbs_up.gif

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 4

Misha
Oh I KNOW what your going through! icon_cry.gif I had the same thoughts on my first pair of ballet slippers. It really is difficult the first couple times. icon_confused.gif I've found that it you start at the toe area and work your way to the sides - it's much easier. I lay the sole down on my matt - put a little gum glue around the area where the toes would be, then start attaching the upper portion to the sole. It's so hard to write how you do something. I hope I've helped even a little. Don't give up. You'll get it. thumbs_up.gif

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 4

Misha,
I forgot about the glue - I take a small piece of gumpaste (about the size of a pea) and put it in a little bowl (or small cup) and add a couple drops of water. I take my finger and start squooshing the gumpaste and water together to form a paste (you may need to add more water but the consistency your looking for is like glue - not watery). Then I just use a paint brush, dip it in the "glue" and paint it right onto the piece I'm working on. You can use as much or as little gumpaste as you want - based on how much glue you need. It seems a little difficult to mash the two together but it will incorporate after a minute or two of mashing. I use mine right away and it holds like cement. It will dry out if you let it sit out for any length of time (I mean after you've used it - not during). That's why I only make as much as I need for that particular piece. Hope this helps. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%