Donating For The Holidays...

Decorating By KKC Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 10:38pm by Mac

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:42am
post #1 of 5

Hello All,

Who on here is doing fundraisers or charity work for the holidays?? I for one am so blessed and fortunate to have a roof over my head, clothes on my back and food as i'm sure most of us are. I was talking to my son today about how his toys are spread across the front and back yard and how he damages his toys as soon as he gets them. So I gave him the speech about how many kids his age are less fortunate and they appreciate the little things that people give them. So what we are going to do is a fundraiser...I am going to be making various goodies and treats starting Monday Oct 6 and selling them and with ALL OF THE PROCEEDS we are going to buy as many Halloween costumes & candy bags as we can and donate them to the families who cannot afford to buy costumes. The same thing for Thanksgiving...we are going to make flyers and pass them out...we are going to buy food and package them up and give them out at our church. The same thing for Christmas only this time we will purchase toys and drop them off at Toys for Tots locations. I feel that it is necessary for my son to learn to appreciate the things that he has, although he is only 7 i think he can still learn something valuable. I'm also going to take him to a shelter so that we can help serve food and things like that. I often feel so horrible after Thanksgiving when I pile stuff on my plate and then throw away the food that i don't eat. I always think to myself that there are many people who that food can go to and I feel so ungrateful. So starting this year my family and I are going to go help serve food before we enjoy our own.

HAS ANYONE ELSE FELT THIS WAY??? I would love to hear some of the things that some of us are doing to put smiles on these families faces! And also any advice on where to begin would help thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 5

Kivia--
I donate birthday cakes to the women's shelter. They call when they have a child in protective custody and I take a cake to them (you do have to sign a confidentiality form to protect the family). They shelter gives me a donation receipt for my taxes.

I have also participated in making a few cakes for bake sales. And I am a member of Operation Baking Gals. It's a great thing that you are doing.
Pam

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks...I think thats a good idea for the womens shelter. I'm going to contact a few here in my area. I also signed up for Operation Baking Gals. I must commend u also on your good deed, its good to know that there are other people out there that loves to make someone else smile!

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 5

Here in North Louisiana, there is a shelter that is close to my heart. It is a shelter for homeless women and children. I ran the daycare for a while, and left to have my last baby.

The things that these children know, see and experience is beyond many people's imagination. They are the most grateful and deserving of any and all things to help them feel what childhood CAN be.

Since I have started baking cakes and cookies, I have already decided to provide things for all of the children's parties. (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's, ect) These children have never seen, much less eaten, cookies or cakes like you see on here. I can't wait to see thier little faces in two weeks!

I think that it is great that you are getting you son involved. My children seem so ungrateful sometimes and they, too, get a dose of reality from a visit to the shelter.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 5

Also, a few years ago, I worked at the hospital. I had the opportunity to work with a wonderful young man--of course, I didn't know it at the time...he, at first, came across as very stand-offish and rarely did smile. But once I started working in the same department, he was really a great guy. I left the hospital and started doing home health in 1996. I did not see this guy again until this year when HIS company hosted a back-to-school supply party for under-priviledged kids. They got school supplies and a meal.

I called him up and told him that I also had my own business and wanted to participate in the supply party next year by providing cupcakes. He told me that they also do a Christmas party for the same children and HIS business donated all the toys. He had other businesses that donated sandwiches, chips and juices. I am jumping on that train, too. I LOVE to see the faces on the children--it really makes everything worth-while just to give them a few hours of total happiness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%