What's Up With Sugarveil

Decorating By lovekzade Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 11:21pm by Kim_in_CajunCountry

lovekzade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovekzade Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:46am
post #1 of 13

i was reading some earlier posts and someone mentioned sugarveil. Sounds like awesome stuff. Where can it be purchased and what does it taste like? Anybody know?

12 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 2:56am
post #2 of 13

I would like to know the same thing! Lol, just kidding. I ordered a starter kit from them yesterday, and am anxiously awaiting the arrival. Check it out at www.sugarveil.com

Waiting...patiently for the UPS man.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:00am
post #3 of 13

It is totally awesome stuff! If you order the starter kit directly for Sugarveil it comes pretty quickly.

I can't really explain what it tastes like - kinda like sweet nothing. Its differnt. I think it tastes like royal icing but without that little bitter taste that it sometimes gets and it tastes much lighter.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:35am
post #4 of 13

Gotta get the kit...
Gotta get the kit...
Gotta get the kit...
Gotta get the kit...
I try not to order/buy alot of stuff if I don't have an immediate/upcoming need for it, but I think i'm going to...get the kit!!

janelwaters Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:52am
post #5 of 13

I L-O-V-E this stuff! Its just amazing the stuff that you can do with it!

get it!
get it!
get it!
get it!!!!!

Its AWESOME!!

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 13

Janel, have you used it in squeeze bottle? I tried last night to write with it, but it was too hard to squeeze out, and stringy, messed up letters. Mind you, I cut the ingredients in half and maybe wasn't enough for my mixer to get it all incorporated in, and I added a lot of americolor black, not sure which or if all contributed to my problem.
Helpful hint to anyone using it for the first time:
let it dry!
let it dry!
let it dry!
before trying to lift it, I guess I was over anxious and lifted it too soon, but used it anyway on some motorcycle leathers, I'll post pic soon.

janelwaters Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 13

I always use regular piping bags and tips.

did you get the dvd - there is something in there about how long to mix it - I had problems the first time I tried to mix it, but I rewatched the DVD and haven't had problems since. It is very sticky

I always print out what I want to copy, lay wax paper over it, put crisco on the wax paper and then pipe away - because its so humid here in N. Florida - I usually let it sit for at least an hour but no more than 3. If it totally dries it dries really hard and will crack.

good luck, let me know how it works!!

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 8:25pm
post #8 of 13

Got my Sugarveil!

First thing...don't ever forget to grease your parchment! That stuff sticks like glue to ungreased surfaces. I know this is gonna happen to me one of these days....

This stuff IS awesome. I've practiced a couple of times now, with consistency and all, and the weather here has been a bit unpredictable as far as humidity goes, which REALLY affects drying time.

I tried the mix exactly the way it is instructed, and it was too thick to put through a squeeze bottle with semi-fine tips. Watered it down a bit, and after a couple more practices will hopefully have the ratio correct.

If anyone wonders about squeeze bottles/tips, I got a package from Micheal's, in the paint department, near the gold/silver gilding section (I think). It was a package with 2 bottles (large and small), and a little plastic vial with heavy metal screw-on tips. Different gauges, two of them are very very fine, probably too fine for this stuff, but I will try them next time. I used the largest tip, and it works so far.

I did not care for piping with a parchment cone, I just don't like those anyways. The way you can grip the squeeze bottle is much more like you are writing, so you can get more dexterity and fluidity in your hand movements, which of course means finer detail and smooth lines when you are "tracing" something.

Yep,....this stuff rocks. Highly recommend it!

janelwaters Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 13

YEA!!! I'm so glad that you got it and that you like it!! I love mine too!!

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 10:06pm
post #10 of 13

I watched one of my recorded episodes of Amazing Wedding Cakes over the weekend and Cake Atelier did a Goth wedding cake with a skull, blood red roses, and a spider web draped over the cake. I'm pretty certain that she used the Sugarveil product. She said it was a special kind of royal icing that takes longer to dry and is flexible. If THAT was Sugarveil, I am very impressed. She piped her spiderweb on paper then lifted it and draped it down the tiers.

Sidenote: This episode and especially their contrasting thoughts relative to the "skull cake" request really demonstrated how different these two ladies styles and philosophies are toward cake decorating. It is understandable why they have chosen to dissolve their business and go their separate ways. Hopefully it was an amicable split. Each is very talented in her own right. The skull cake is featured in a video found on Lauri Ditunno's website.

janelwaters Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 10:09pm
post #11 of 13

Kim,

I emailed Laurie after that episode and it is in fact Sugarveil that she used!

the stuff is totally AMAZING!!

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 10:31pm
post #12 of 13

I welcome PM's, but not if you're creepy. You know the person. Don't be that person.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 11:21pm
post #13 of 13

Jamie85364: Glad you like it. I kind of borrowed it from the Flickr website community guidelines. One of the "What not to do" guidelines states, "Donât be creepy. You know the guy. Don't be that guy."

Flickr is such a fun site!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%