Support Straws That Duff Uses

Decorating By tlreetz Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 7:11pm by tlreetz

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 27

Does anyone have any idea what, and where, to get those big support straws that Duff uses? Geoff was using them the other night on the "Get Smart" cake and they are SO much easier to cut than dowels.....any ideas?? They are a LOT bigger than regular straws.

Thanks!

26 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 27

They are bubble tea straws. You can find them in Asian groceries and some restaurant supply stores.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 27

JoAnnB got it right!!

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 27

so, do you use them just like dowels? Would they really support that much weight?

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 3:09am
post #5 of 27

They really do work suprisingly well. I bought mine on ebay. I use them for 2 tiers don't know if I would go bigger than a 3 but I am sure someone has.

PollyMaggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 27

The work just like dowels. I love mine and I purchased them off amazon.

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 27

I have always used regular old drinking straws for up to 3 tiers and have never had a problem. My girlfriend is a pastry chef for a restaurant in NJ and she suggested them to me when I first started making cakes, so that's what I use.
I do use cardboard rounds under each layer and I do not drive the cake anywhere already stacked.....I wouldn't trust them for that, for sure. But for on-site set up, I have never had an issue.
Heather

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 27

love love love bubble straws!!! Won't ever use dowels again!!! Unless I am going between two layers.

Most asain markets have them.... or online, as suggested

2chae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2chae Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:15pm
post #10 of 27

I get mine from here... http://www.tentea.com/jumbubteastr.html

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:18pm
post #11 of 27

.......have always used regular old drinking straws for up to 3 tiers and have never had a problem... do use cardboard rounds under each layer......

Agree w/the aboveicon_smile.gif
Several have asked "Do they really work?"
You see how Charm City uses them don't you? Of course they workicon_smile.gif Yes, they hold 'that much weight' & more.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:27pm
post #12 of 27

I'm so glad you asked that question and thanks to all who responded. I've always wanted to know the same thing. Has anyone delivered one already set up in straws? Just wondering if it's okay to deliver it all done! Hmm.

tlreetz Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:00pm
post #13 of 27

WOW!!! THank you all SO much for the response to my question...you are AWESOME!!!

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:14pm
post #14 of 27

I purchased mine from tentea.com also. Price was right and s/h was not bad.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:21pm
post #15 of 27

And Sharon from Sugar Shack also suggests using them. She uses them to stack four tiered cakes with the help of foam core. Its in her Successful Stacking Video.

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:28pm
post #16 of 27

I have transported 3 tiers with straw supports and a center dowel for a 1 hour ride. Not a problem!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:53pm
post #17 of 27

Yah, I would like to try using this method instead of having to worry about getting my stress free support system from people. Sometimes they procrastanate on getting them back to you and you really need them!!

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:39pm
post #18 of 27

not sure if anyone has posted this already since there are several pages of replies but...In the Cake Bible (rose levy b) she says she always uses regular non bending drinking straws and has never had a problem.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 9:41pm
post #19 of 27

The use of plastic drink straws has been around for yrs now.......as momma28 mentions.
I have delivered many, many cakes - even 3 & 4 tiers using them.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:00am
post #20 of 27

I'm with everyone else on the boba tea straws. I just ordered two bags from Boba Tea Direct...I have yet to use them though. The straws are good because they are nice & sturdy, plus by them being hollow it supports the weight differently and better than wooden dowels, which to me shift sometimes.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:10am
post #21 of 27

You guys just talked me into trying these..........I'm ordering them tonite.

I'm tired of cutting the Wilton Hidden Pillars or wooden dowels. icon_cry.gif

cous2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cous2010 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:45am
post #22 of 27

My Fiance just told me that Sam' Club sells them. I think I'll check there before ordering them online...

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:17am
post #23 of 27

this is the issue I have with wooden dowels and the plastic wilton hollow dowels - when I cut them, they are never even/level, and it's impossible to get 4 the exact same height...maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I've had too many close calls. Are the boba tea straws easier to cut level? If not I'm going to the sps!

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:17am
post #24 of 27

this is the issue I have with wooden dowels and the plastic wilton hollow dowels - when I cut them, they are never even/level, and it's impossible to get 4 the exact same height...maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I've had too many close calls. Are the boba tea straws easier to cut level? If not I'm going to the sps!

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:28am
post #25 of 27

Has anyone used these in a topsy turvey cake? I am so sick of cutting wooden dowls..........I am going to order these right now. I checked Sam's web site and didn't see them listed. Wished I had them for the 2 weddings I have this weekend.....wonder if Pier One would have these or any of the discount stores

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:47am
post #26 of 27

I use the thick straws that they have at Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts & McDonalds, I have never had a problem with them, they are so easy to cut, and they are FREE!!!!

tlreetz Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 7:11pm
post #27 of 27

I just bought some at a local Asian market yesterday for 99 CENTS for a pack of 50!!! I bought 6 packs!!! WHOO HOOOO!!!! That beats the pants off of 12 wooden dowls for $3!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%