Royal Icing Tiara's

Decorating By allcake247 Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 12:43am by TC123

allcake247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allcake247 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 20

Need suggestions on how to make a royal icing tiara. I have actually made the tiara (first time). In the process of drying now for a couple of days. How can I strenghen it, so it wont break when I place it on the cake a few weeks from now. I'm afraid when I turn it over to add more RI to give it strengh, it'll break. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

19 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 20

Is it flat?? Or did you dry it over a round surface?
If it is flat you should be able to turn it over carefully and over pipe the back.
If you used a big enough round tip to pipe it that should be little problem.

allcake247 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 20

I formed it over a crisco can to round it out. Afraid to peel it off, fearing its going to break. Thanks

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 20

It's a good idea to make an extra one. Sometimes when they break, you can piece them back together. Other times it's just easier to start over again.

StaceyRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyRN Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 20

When I made my RI tiara it was a royal pain!! LOL
I actually also made mine on my crisco can, but as i later found out, the little lip at the bottom and top were wider and cracked the tiara.......
I ended up making two more on a large vase that was equal from top to bottom and sliding it off.
Did you put two or three layers??
If you tripled your layers you shouldn't need to strengthen it.

allcake247 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:14pm
post #6 of 20

Thank you, I'll make an extra one, just in case.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 20

I made mine a few weeks ago I had made it like a week in advance I did at least 4 layers...i went to take it off the can with no problems. Let it sit (not on the can) for about a day and after I was all done with the cake i went to put the tiara on and it broke right in my hand. Now I know to make extras.

allcake247 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 20

I used a number 4 tip and piped as much as I could, so it wouldnt look so sloppy. I made the bank first with some edible pearls for the bottom, then piped the outlines over top of that. I was going to wait til it dried, then turn it over to pipe over the underside for strength. I have to make an extra one just in case that breaks. Hate to freak out the day of when I need it for the cake I'm doing. Thanks for your help everyone.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:27pm
post #9 of 20

I did mine on a can and like PP mine broke when I tried to get it over the little lip at the top of the can. But it was easy enough to salvage. I put it together sitting upright, then piped over the back. In the end you could not even see it had been broken. It is the tiara on the castle cake in my photos.

allcake247 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:48pm
post #10 of 20

BakingGirl. I saw your tiara. Its beautiful sitting on the castle, cant even tell its been broken. Your work is amazing. I saw your pillow, that's what my tiara is going to sit on. I might need your assistance on making one. Both are my first. Thanks again for your help.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:59pm
post #11 of 20

Baking Girl just saw your Castle cake w/tiara and it was beautiful! I want to make one for my daughter. This weekend we are having a party for her. I'm making her a dog cake and wanted to put a tiara on it! Better get started today

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:08pm
post #12 of 20

I just made (3) tiara's a week ago for my daughter's cake. I was lucky, none of them broke, icon_razz.gif

However, I did do one using the Wilton Candy Melts and a #3 decorating tip. The candy melts are thick and don't run down the can. I preferred that one to the Royal Icing. Just a thought!

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:09pm
post #13 of 20

I made mine on a tupperware juice pitcher since it didn't have the lip at the bottom. But it still broke. I made a few and they all broke somewhere in the design. They are fairly easy to repair if the break is just a piece.

Since then I only make gumpaste tiara using my clay gun. So easy!

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:21pm
post #14 of 20

I did mine this past weekend.I did it a week ahead,let it dry then go over it several times make sure you let it dry in between before you go over it.I putted it over a small coffee can.When I took it off it did not break,I don't know if I just got lucky or what.The tiara went on a 6inch cake.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:29pm
post #15 of 20

i do mine on a 3lb sour cream tub, it has a slight angle which gives the tiara a nice shape. i cut away a portion of the tub so it will sit on the counter with out rolling. tape down my pattern, cover with wax paper and then pipe in royal. once its dry you can release the wax paper and gently squeeze the tub to make it a little smaller and the tiara is very easy to slide off. when you pipe make sure the bottom of the tub is the bottom of the tiara so it flairs the right way.

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:41pm
post #16 of 20

These tiaras are just stunning to look at but I must admit I get so over zealous that I break each one I make. I have done a couple to practise for my daughter's cake. One thing I also do is to cover my wax paper with a piece of cling wrap/plastic wrap, I find that it is easier to take the plastic off the wax and easier to peel the plastic wrap from the tiara than from the wax paper.

Shannie

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:52pm
post #17 of 20

I used a large peanut can but cut the ends off so there would be no lip. I use 3 to 4 layers of RI and learned the hard way to make extra.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 11:04pm
post #18 of 20

rubyrjohnson, the pillow cake was done using the instructions here on CC. You'll find it in the articles section. Just don't do what I did and use white chocolate for the tiara, which is what I did for that cake. By the time I got to the party the tiara had melted into a little puddle on the floor of my car. Granted it is hot where I live, but I would never make anything like that in chocolate again, just too unstable.

I think what some of you other posters have done, making the tiara on a curved surface without a lip is the way to go. If you are able to slide the wax paper straight up you should be able to get it off without breakage.

alvarezmom, thanks for the compliment!

allcake247 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 11:41pm
post #19 of 20

Well it broke into pieces where it was ruined. I was carefully peeling the wax paper and in some places wasn't thick enough. I'll try again using tips you all provided. Thanks again everyone

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 12:43am
post #20 of 20

Hi! I have my friend's DD birthday this Sunday. It's a first birthday, princess themed. So I thought I'd top the cake with a tiara! ... Keep in mind I never made one before... Nothing like trying a new technique for a special event! icon_eek.gif

Like others, I too followed the instructions from this site, and made 4 on Sunday. I used PVC pipe that my DH cut to my specs (it has a smooth top and bottom), taped the pattern on (making sure it's straight!), and then covered that with a piece of wax paper (folded in half). I used the egg-white recipe for royal icing, since it has a tendancy to dry harder. I used tip 3 and did 3 layers, allowing 2.5 hours between adding layers.

Anyway, earlier today I tried removing one of the tiaras from the PVC pipe and it broke. icon_surprised.gif When I picked it up, it broke into even more pieces. icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif ... So I was bummin'...

After reading this thread I got up the confidence to try removing another. What I did THIS time was go more slowly, in essence, I was at the mercy of the delicate tiara. I went V-E-R-Y slow, cautious of every move I made. Once the tiara was off the PVC pipe, I balanced the center of the tiara on my finger (holding it very lightly), and started at the wax paper ends, and G-E-N-T-L-Y (can't stress that enough! ~ gently) curled the wax paper inward toward the center of the tiara. I found that the slower I went the more willing the wax paper was to release. Once I got both wax paper ends released, and just the middle of the tiara still stuck, I carefully rocked the tiara back and forth on my finger tip until the final areas of wax paper released.

Doing it this way, I was able to successfully release the other 3 tiaras. NOW ~ if any of them make it to the party is another story! icon_lol.gif

Anyway, I wanted to share this with you, because I'm going through it right now. I apologize for this long narrative, but I truly believe that it made all the difference for me.

Thank you everyone for sharing your tips! And best of luck to you, rubyrjohnson! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%