Hi Ratio Shortening

Decorating By ccarroca Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 3:33pm by poohsmomma

ccarroca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccarroca Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 6:05am
post #1 of 32

Ok, I have read so much about this my mind is going numb. I have noticed a difference since the crisco change. I want to try hi ratio, but do not have enough time to on line it and the closest place is 35 minutes away - and its a 50lb pail!!!.

I bought a generic that has 2grams transfat in it. The ingredient list is partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed and mono and di glycerides.

1. If anyone has hi ratio, is that all there is to it in the ingredient list?

2. Is there another difference that I will find that will make it worth the trip?

Thanks so much for responding,

Catherine

31 replies
ccarroca Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 32

please help I really need to know

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 32

Well a 50lb bucket cost like 80 bux where I am.......
so be prepared.

I have bucket of CK high ratio. ingrediants: partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils WITH PG mono emulsifer added. what ever that is.

Definitely miles ahead of crisco.

AmazingGraceCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmazingGraceCakes Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 32

Sweetex Hi-Ratio shortening ingredients:
partially hydrogenated soybean and Palm oils with mono- and diglycerides.

About $100 - 50lbs

I love working with it, makes a a huge differenec in the smoothness... taste, don't really know but hear that it's much better.

Hope this is helpful.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 32

I won't go back to Crisco after using hi-ratio. I buy mine online in 3lb tubs at either KitchenKrafts.com or CountryKitchenSA.com for $7.99

I just can't usually afford to spend $90 all at once (IntoTheOven.com has comparable prices on 50lbs).

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 32

I buy my from bakersmark 50lbs. for $27. I use by from SYSCO but they closed their cash and carry store so now I go to bakemark, pay cash no license needed. In 2010 I believe it has to trans free so see what happens to the frosting I make.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 32

Same here, I buy bakemark hi ratio from CK..pay about 46 dollars for a 50 lb brick. Our local dist has another brand, but I didnt like it for buttercream, it was soo light, but I am using it for my non dairy mousses and other fillings. Not all hi ratios are alike! So try different brands.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 32

I just bought some sweetex at a cake shop and tried it out...love it!! Only problem for me as well is i live a distance from this shoppe so i'm unable to just buy it when i need it. Like you i don't want to buy buckets of the stuff, i don't do enough cakes yet to make it worth it. Our bulk food store sell high ratio but i'm not sure the brand.

ccarroca Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 11:07pm
post #9 of 32

Thanks Ladies, can someone tell me how much trans fat is in it?

Rocketgirl899 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:08am
post #10 of 32

50 lbs for 27 bux?!?!??!?!?!

DANG! I pay like 8.99 for 3 lbs... icon_sad.gif

Gatorfan01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gatorfan01 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:40am
post #11 of 32

Boy, my cake shop is ripping me off. I just bought a 3lb tub of CK brand hi-ratio and paid $14.93 for it!! icon_cry.gif

I am definitely going to order from one of the online stores next time.

Terrie

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:08am
post #12 of 32

I use the Food Lion off name brand and it has 3 grams of trans fat in it and it works GREAT. I bought Kroger's off name brand and it had only 1 gram of trans fat in it and I ruined an entire 6 lbs of buttercream b/c the consistency was horrible, and it was grainy.

I think that you need to find the off name shortening and try using that. The more trans fat the better it performs, IMHO.

hope that helps!

Oh, the off brand shortening at Food Lion is $2.96 per container

dessertsbydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessertsbydebi Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:53pm
post #13 of 32

I decided to take the plunge today and see just what would happen when I did not use the hi ratio that I have come to LOVE! I bought the GV from walmart. I HATED IT!!! It was so grainy and slimy looking! I will NEVER use anything BUT HR again!

HTH
Debi

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 10:22pm
post #14 of 32

I use the Hi-ratio shortening, there is a difference. I love it. I ordered mine on line. I ordered 50lb and it is taking forever to use it. Next time I will buy less.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:01pm
post #15 of 32

Debi!

Sorry your experiment didn't work.. but at least you tried! hope you can find SOMETHING to do with it.

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:15pm
post #16 of 32

If you buy a large quantity of hi-ratio shortn. how long will it last? Does it go bad at some point?

Melissa0567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa0567 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:20pm
post #17 of 32

I've never used this Hi-ratio shortening. Is Hi-Ratio the name of the shortening or does that mean it has the trans fat in it? And knowing that trans fat is bad to consume is it worth the health factor to use it anyway? I really don't know how much transfat it takes to be harmful. I tried a brand from wal-mart that had 2 grams of transfat and the shortening was soooo soft and so was my bc when I made it so I went back to Crisco. I've still searching for the perfect bc recipe and ingredients. Any suggestions.

Melissa

Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 8:10pm
post #18 of 32

justsweet, where do you get your bakersmark????? I Googled it, but no luck. $27??? That's an awesome price!!!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 2:30am
post #19 of 32

I'm in Canada, so this might not apply to most of you ... but I can buy hi-ratio at my local Bulk Barn (bulk store). I am not a pro baker, so I don't use that much of it, or I would probably buy it in larger quantities. However, for my needs, to buy it close to home (can't get hi-ratio anywhere else even remotely close to me) and in a quantity I can select, it's great. Maybe it's for sale in a bulk type store near you??

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 1:43pm
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1970

I'm in Canada, so this might not apply to most of you ... but I can buy hi-ratio at my local Bulk Barn (bulk store). I am not a pro baker, so I don't use that much of it, or I would probably buy it in larger quantities. However, for my needs, to buy it close to home (can't get hi-ratio anywhere else even remotely close to me) and in a quantity I can select, it's great. Maybe it's for sale in a bulk type store near you??

I'm sooo glad you posted. I just posted a question about the bulk food store hi ratio shortening on another cake site. I was wondering if it was any good? Texture? Taste? I've purchased hi ratio stuff at a cake shop in michigan but i can't be running over there all the time. When i went to the bulk store i was surprized to see it and am curious on the qualtiy indeed. I asked them at the store what brand it was and she said it didn't have a name on the bin but she did say cake decorators buy it all the time, so i figured it has to be pretty good. What has your experience been with it?

My only drawback is my son as severe nut allergies and being that it comes from the bulk store this may be an issue. But perhaps i can ask them to order me a small quantity unopened.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:34pm
post #21 of 32

I just saw this thread...just now decided to take the plunge to use hi ration...found the CK brand here: http://www.fondantsource.com/hirash3lbs.html as my local bakery supply doesn't carry it. He told me its a good price though.... I bought the 6 tubs for $36 and then shipping was just over $14. Hope it works good for me!

Especially for my whipped icing (recipe posted in my recipes)....sometimes it seems with that recipe the regular shortening has a little bit more of a waxy feel in the mouth.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:05pm
post #22 of 32

Someone just mentioned that shortenin all has to be trans fat free by 2010. What does everyone plan to do then? I do not want toget use to hi ratio shortening and then have to start all over again. I tried the dream whip icing and it was not a pure white and I still had air bubbles.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:28am
post #23 of 32

I believe that someone said that you could freeze the shortening.....does anybody know if this is true & for how long? I've got 50# & it will take me forever to use it.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:40am
post #24 of 32

You can definitely freeze it. I portion it out into 1c mounds (using a scale) and then wrap each one tightly in plastic wrap before sealing as many as possible into a ziploc. Of course you can portion it out in larger amounts too. I don't know how long it lasts in the freezer but I'd guess it lasts as long as anything can...6 mos to a year before things start suffering from irreversible freezer burn, wouldn't you say?

To answer the PP, yes I suppose you are right, in CA they are phasing out trans fats (Other major US cities already do this) It only pertains to restaurants+bakeries so theoretically you should be able to BUY it, but you just can't sell goods containing TF's. This was signed into law by Arnie and I don't think it's a big deal for most industries since so many have already cut out TF without problems (in fact that's a selling point nowadays: "TF free!") However I am sure that will be a bigger challenge for bakers...I wonder if the baking industry will try to get an exemption? Oh actually I just read a blurb that baked goods have til 2011 to phase out.

I have to admit, when I look at the list of restaurants that have already phased it out, and also the goodies (think: Oreos, the first "victims") I think to myself, well, the food still tastes the same so what's the problem? TF's are pretty darned awful, and they are not saying you cannot consume them, but if you choose to do so you must make the product yourself. Probably because it's not realistic to require restaurants and bakeries to offer you a "choice" - like a TF and TFF version of each dish? LOL, as IF!

I read a post once from Leahs that said there is a good quality TF free baking shortening but it's $$$ expensive! Maybe as it becomes a more commonly used product in our state, the price will come down because more people will begin to produce and offer it (i.e. more competition in the marketplace.) Right now it's just a specialty item.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:04am
post #25 of 32

I have been told by the manufacturers/suppliers of more than one brand of hi-ratio that it is shelf stable for up to a year. I have kept it almost that long without any problem.

newnancy Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 12:07pm
post #26 of 32

Thanks Ceshell & Itsacake........I think I'm going to start packaging some up & freezing it, maybe half & see what happens. I'm a family & friends baker & after my nieces wedding I'll have to start pushing cakes so I can practice & use this.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:02pm
post #27 of 32

I'm so glad to find this thread...I tried a week or so ago to ask a question so I could understand what Hi-Ratio even means...had little luck. This really helps. I am looking for trans fat! Is that right???

newnancy Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:11pm
post #28 of 32

poohsmomma,
What I have is a cake & icing shortening called Vreamay. If you have a Piggly Wiggly near you this is what I believe their bakery uses. Maybe they would sell you some, it really makes some smooth icing. HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:24pm
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa0567

I've never used this Hi-ratio shortening. Is Hi-Ratio the name of the shortening or does that mean it has the trans fat in it? And knowing that trans fat is bad to consume is it worth the health factor to use it anyway? I really don't know how much transfat it takes to be harmful. I tried a brand from wal-mart that had 2 grams of transfat and the shortening was soooo soft and so was my bc when I made it so I went back to Crisco. I've still searching for the perfect bc recipe and ingredients. Any suggestions.

Melissa

Hi-Ratio is NOT brand name. It's a "style" of shortening and means that it is formulated to hold an emulsion with more liquid to fat ratio than Crisco which is an all purpose shortening. There are frying shortenings formulated to not break down at high temps. IOW, shortenings are specifically formulated to do a specific job.

For cakes and icings you can generally use the same shortening, more so if you have chosen a shortening specifically formulated for cakes and icings. Vremay and Alpine are two brand names. They are both excellent. I personally haven't used Sweetex, but always considered it an icing shortening. Crisco is not specifically formulated to hold an emulsion so it will make icing that will, at some point, break down. Hopefully you will have eaten the cake first.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:24pm
post #30 of 32

Newnancy,
Thanks for the tip, but I'm not in Piggly Wiggly country!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%