My First Fondant Cake....how Much Would This Retail For?

Decorating By beagledog100 Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 5:09pm by pastryjen

beagledog100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beagledog100 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 10

I made my first tiered fondant cake this weekend. My coworker was wondering how much a cake like this would retail for, but I had no idea. I have no plans to ever do cake decorating professionally because it is just too much work. I applaud you all that do this on a daily basis...you're worth every cent you charge. thumbs_up.gif

The bottom tier is 9" and the top tier is 6". Both tiers are torted and are approximately 4" tall each. The cake is covered in and decorated with fondant.

Can you tell me how much you would sell a cake like this for? I realize that my cake is no where near a professional cake, but I am just curious about the price.

Thanks
LL

9 replies
mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 10

figure out how many serving per tier, with whichever chart (wiltons or earlenes) you typically use.

check with your local bakeries, see how much they charge per slice for a fondant cake, then add at least $20 for your gumpaste bow. there you have it!

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 10

figure out how many serving per tier, with whichever chart (wiltons or earlenes) you typically use.

check with your local bakeries, see how much they charge per slice for a fondant cake, then add at least $20 for your gumpaste bow. there you have it!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 10

..........The bottom tier is 9" and the top tier is 6". Both tiers are torted and are approximately 4" tall each. The cake is covered in and decorated with fondant.......how much you would sell a cake like this for? I realize that my cake is no where near a professional cake,

!st off: Wow, you did a great job on this! icon_smile.gif
Yes, your cake *is* prefessional looking. Don't sell your work short.

You are3 going to get lots of different oppinions on how much to sell for. Lots depends on where you live. My price would probably be somewhere around $75.

beagledog100 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:49am
post #5 of 10

Thank you for your answers.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:04am
post #6 of 10

Base price for fondant for me is $5.50/serving.. I'd bill that at 35 servings plus $20 for the bow.. it'd be a little over $200.00.

Figure out how much it costs you to make your recipes and how much you'd like to be making for your cakes and divide it out per serving. icon_smile.gif

beagledog100 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Base price for fondant for me is $5.50/serving.. I'd bill that at 35 servings plus $20 for the bow.. it'd be a little over $200.00.

Figure out how much it costs you to make your recipes and how much you'd like to be making for your cakes and divide it out per serving. icon_smile.gif

Thank you for your reply. $200????wow!!! I know it depends on the area that I am in, but I was thinking $50 or so. Like I said, I have no desire to ever sell cakes, but I was just curious what others would sell a similar cake for.

I can definitely see why cakes are so expensive now. It is a royal pain in the butt to make a cake and mine was relatively simple compared to what most of you do.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 1:35am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by beagledog100

Thank you for your reply. $200????wow!!! I know it depends on the area that I am in, but I was thinking $50 or so.

If you add up all your expenses for this cake, they were probably at least $25 - $35. So you can see how a $50 price would actually be giving it away. That's why it's so important, for those who sell, to know their costs before setting prices. thumbs_up.gif

Great cake, by the way! Don't think it's not "professional" because that is something you would see selling for big $$ from a custom cake shop!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:16pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by beagledog100

Thank you for your reply. $200????wow!!! I know it depends on the area that I am in, but I was thinking $50 or so. Like I said, I have no desire to ever sell cakes, but I was just curious what others would sell a similar cake for.

I can definitely see why cakes are so expensive now. It is a royal pain in the butt to make a cake and mine was relatively simple compared to what most of you do.

Kelly is right.. costs go up quickly. I bake from scratch and use SMBC and to make a cake that size would easily cost me $40. So I have to charge to cover costs and not work for wages similar to a sweatshop worker.

Sit down and list out each ingredient.. find out how much you pay for your ingredients.. calculate how much recipes cost you to make. Think about the time and gas you spend shopping.. the time you spend mixing and baking, leveling and filling and frosting, decorating and cleaning. It all adds up.

It's easy to sit and think "hey.. I'd never pay that much for a cake".. but they are paying for more than just a product.. they are paying you to do the work they either can't or just plain don't want to do. A cake is more than just the end product.. it's everything you had to do to make it. We provide a service to people.. a service they should pay for. icon_smile.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 10

The bakeries around my neck of the woods would charge $3 a serving for fondant and then say $20 for the bow...$125.

(I just found out what the local bakeries are charging so I have to really adjust my prices.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%