Tips On Starting A Home Based Cake Business In Kansas

Business By Biabeke Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 11:02pm by shanasweets

Biabeke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biabeke Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 6

icon_redface.gif I want to finally get over my fear and start a home based cake business in Fort Riley, KS. My husband is deploying next Saturday, so i need to keep myself busy. I called the Dept. of Agriculture, and the lady told me that I did not need a license to operate. However, I am still confused. Can someone please tell me if it is safe to invite potential customers in my house for tasting and consultation? I have two little boys. What else needs to be done? Any suggestion will be deeply appreciated. Thanks a million!!!

5 replies
momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 6

Hi there! I'm not sure what the rules are with Kansas, but I just wanted to wish you luck. My husband is also deployed and that's the main reason I started my cake business up. Being busy has really helped the time fly by.

GOOD LUCK!!!

bettle71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettle71 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 6:23am
post #3 of 6

Go to your local Health Department, They will give you all the information you need. Find out if you need a separated kitchen to do baking and the type of equipment needed to run a home base buissenes.
Good Luck

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:51am
post #4 of 6

I have a home-based bakery in Kansas. I spoke with my county health department and checked my city's regulations on home-based businesses. For me, the answer was that I didn't need to be licensed. My city does have strict rules on operating a store-front operation from home, so I try to limit the number of people coming and going. I deliver orders as much as I can afford to in order to keep the traffic down. I agree, check with your county's health department. Best of luck to you and your family. icon_smile.gif

Biabeke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biabeke Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 12:54am
post #5 of 6

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I will forever be grateful to Cake Central forum and members!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 6

I am moving back to Kansas when my house sells. I also have spoke to the Dept of Ag. The policy is that you can operate a home business baking as long as you sell non perishable items. Also you cannot sell to someone who is going to resell. ie, gas station selling your muffins. I think as far as bringing people into your home. I would say a clean home is key. Also if you have pets, i would not have them roaming around. Although I think most people are careful about pets in there kitchen, it could influence peoples thoughts. I wish you luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%