Info On Getting Madagascar Pure Van. Extract At Great Price

Baking By TracyLH Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 5:28pm by TracyLH

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 23

Recently I had posted a question to see what kind of pure vanilla extract everyone liked and Jessfmaldonado had fantastic info on where to get Nielson-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract at a great price. Thanks Jessica! I thought I would post this info as a new topic so the word really got out there as it was kind of buried in my posting, if anyone is interested.

To give you an idea, you can get 8 oz. at Williams-Sonoma for $19. At www.Surfas.com, you get 32 oz. for $23.72. I find it to be cheaper than the McCormick I was getting at the grocery store and this tastes much better (IMHO). Of course, there is shipping, but there are also good prices on other extracts, sanding sugars, etc.

Perhaps this will help someone if they use this extract and every bit of credit for this find goes to Jessica (Jessfmaldonado) for posting this info!

22 replies
Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 23

I can't get anything to come up when I use that link!! So I googled "surfas" and it took me to surfasonline.com, but their vanilla was $21 for 8 oz. Is this the same site?

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

I can't get anything to come up when I use that link!! So I googled "surfas" and it took me to surfasonline.com, but their vanilla was $21 for 8 oz. Is this the same site?

It is www.surfasonline.com, and here is what Tracy is speaking of
https://www.surfasonline.com/products/6740.cfm. The 32 oz. for 23.72

The best price around!!!!!! The best vanilla around aside from making your own of course, I love to make my own too!!

I am so glad you like it and love the price Tracy. Someone on CC actually gave me the surfas tip a while ago. Oh gosh I have no idea who the name was. (I am horrible with that, sorry icon_redface.gif ) But it is the best price and it is soooooo good. Try the vanilla bean paste as well, that is yummy too and a great price too! The problem now is, I think so many people have been ordering it from them, now it is on backorder and it never was before. icon_cry.gif I was just about to order some for this week now I have to wait!! hehe. Oh well, As long as they keep that price I am happy!!!

Your so sweet Tracy, Glad I could help!!!! That is what CC is all about!!!!

Jessica icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

jessfmaldonado Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 23

By the way Tracy,

Your cookies are totally AWESOME!!!!!! FABULOUS!!!!! GORGEOUS!!!!

I want some cookie lessons from you!!!! icon_cry.gif

Jessica icon_redface.gif

TracyLH Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 23

Sorry about posting the wrong website! icon_redface.gif (My turn to blush!)

Jessica, thankyou for your very kind words! I could use lessons from you if I ever venture into cakes! Yours are wonderful!

TracyLH Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 23

Callysa - you were looking at the price for the organic. I use the regular so that is the price I was referring to. Here is the direct link to the 32 oz. for $23:

https://www.surfasonline.com/products/6740.cfm

ShaunaCann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunaCann Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 23

I was at Costco this weekend and happened to see that they had a Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract. I didn't look at the price because I didn't know there was anything special about this specific kind of vanilla. I will look the next time I go.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 23

They also had 32 oz. of Vanilla Paste for $26.70... which I promptly ordered. I was paying about $8.00 plus shipping for 4 oz. I thought it sounded like good deal.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 23

How would you use the vanilla paste?

jessfmaldonado Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshed

How would you use the vanilla paste?

You use it just like the extract, but when you want the look of vanilla beans. I do think the paste has a richer flavor than the extract.

Jessica icon_smile.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 7:35pm
post #11 of 23

What Jessica said. I really like it; I too believe it has a better taste and the seeds add a gourmet touch. I have been hording it for custards and other items that only had vanilla for flavoring. It has the consistency of honey or thick syrup.
At this price I can use it more widely. But Mexican vanilla goes into anything with strong flavors like chocolate, cinnamon or coffee.

Sugarchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarchic Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 6:27am
post #12 of 23

Thanks for the info. You might want to check Tj Maxx I bought some madagascar and tahitan vanilla 8oz for $9.00 last year. Brands were Nielsen and Sonoma Valley both were great.

Blanca

TracyLH Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 11:37am
post #13 of 23

ShaunaCann - The last time I checked, the Madagscar Vanilla they carry at Cost-Co is the Kirkland brand, which is different than the Nieslson-Massey. However, I know of several people that like it and some use the regular Kirkland vanilla extract as well. Our Cost-Co didn't have the Kirkland Madagascar when I went last, so I ordered the Nielson-Massey. If you are interested, here is the full link I posted about vanilla extracts and you can see more of what people liked:

www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=602768&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Jessica also has a link to more info about vanilla in there. Hope that helps!

jessfmaldonado Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:54pm
post #14 of 23

Wow Tracy thanks for posting that thread again. I so wasnt getting notifications on it. There is a lot of good info in there! No wonder Surfas is on back order, everyone was ordering it!!! hehe. It really is the best price around. Aside from making my own vanilla it is the best in my opinion, in taste, and price!!!

Jessica icon_biggrin.gif

TracyLH Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:58pm
post #15 of 23

Jessica - When you make your own, do you find it develops the same deep color? I am just curious as I am thinking of that as an option for my RI and don't want to tint the icing too much.

jessfmaldonado Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:01pm
post #16 of 23

Hey Tracy,
You can use vanilla powder if you do not want the deep color. The homemade makes a deeper color the more you leave it. The longer it sits, the better the flavor!!! So it sits for a long time!!! I leave mine for 6 months and shake every now and then!
https://www.surfasonline.com/productlines/186.cfm?startrow=17. You can try the vanilla powder for bc too!!

Jessica icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:29pm
post #17 of 23

Ah, ha! So... vanilla powder will give my RI the vanilla taste without affecting the color? Have you yourself tried this with the RI and if so, did you see any difference in how the RI 'performed'?

jessfmaldonado Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:44pm
post #18 of 23

I have not tried it in RI. But I dont think you would use that much to affect the consistency. You use like a teaspoon, depending on how much flavor you want. Just use a teaspoon less of ps maybe??

hth
Jessica

TracyLH Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 3:50pm
post #19 of 23

I will have to order some next time I place an order. This may be a good option for those who have nut issues and can't have my regular almond RI. I will also look to try the pianocat's idea to add some bright white if I use the normal liquid vanilla.

Thanks, Jessica for all of your help and thoughts!

jessfmaldonado Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:11pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

I will have to order some next time I place an order. This may be a good option for those who have nut issues and can't have my regular almond RI. I will also look to try the pianocat's idea to add some bright white if I use the normal liquid vanilla.

Thanks, Jessica for all of your help and thoughts!

Oh I def use the bright white when I make Michele Foster's Fondant. I use the NM vanilla and then use the bright white and it helps so much! I forgot about that too.

Your very welcome!!!!!!!!!!

Jessica icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:44pm
post #21 of 23

Bing! Light bulb moment! icon_biggrin.gif You and pianocat may have solved the problem!

So... (I type, holding my breath), the bright white doesn't change the color you next add to then become more pastel than normal? What brand of bright white are you using? I have been using Americolor, but need to be careful how much I add as it affects the taste.

jessfmaldonado Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:00pm
post #22 of 23

I use the wilton one right now because I have so much of it. When I am out of that one I was going to try Americolor.

I use the bright white when I want white fondant. Due to the NM giving a bit of dark white. I don't need it when I am coloring the fondant. I just add the color. Now for RI, I have used a bit of bright white for white RI. I don't need much though, because I don't add too much NM to give a off color. I take the amount that I need whitened out then use the rest to color. So I dont have to worry about the bright white affecting the colors. Does this make sense? My little one is driving me crazy right now, so I dont know if I explained this right. Let me know, lol.

Jessica

TracyLH Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 5:28pm
post #23 of 23

You did and you have been very generous with your time! Thanks so much for all of your help! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%