Does Anyone Use White Fat For Roling Fondant On?

Decorating By kbaby Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 6:05pm by BlakesCakes

kbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbaby Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 11

Im a newbie and only recently started making cakes. I find that when I roll the sugerpaste out on icing I end up with white marks all over the coloured sugerpaste that I cant brush off.

I read one of Lindy's books last night and she uses white vegtable fat for rolling on to avoid white marks.

Has anyone ever tried this and whats it like?

Thanks

10 replies
solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 11

Hi, i roll on cling film and little icing sugar,that way i have little or no white marks, it does take lot of practice though as cling film tears easily.But it works perfectly for me.

angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 11

I always use cooking spray, like PAM and avoid any white marks. icon_wink.gif

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 11

Hi! I've used white veg. fat (Crisco) to roll on. Mostly when I feel I've made my fondant a bit to dry to begin with. It works well, but I don't really like that it's not quite as easy to pull up as when I use powdered sugar. I use it a lot more with gum paste to do flowers and such - it doesn't dry out quite so quickly then.

To get the powdered sugar off my sugarpaste, I use what I think is called a scruffy brush - I got it in the paint department at the craft store, it is rather thick, short and has soft bristles so that it doesn't mar the sugarpaste.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 11

I use veg shortening all the time, works great, I also use alot of cornstarch when necessary, per Sugarshack's DVD, and it works beautifully, just wipe of the CS marks with a little veg shortening.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 11

Well, I see others were alot quicker to0 the punch!

I use Crisco to roll my fondant out. It does make for a shinier finish than using cornstarch or powdered sugar, and that isn't always the desirable effect.

Hopefully someone with more experience can tell you how to deal with the white marks. I think I've seen it on here before, so maybe if you searched in the forums.

HTH

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 11

I only roll on crisco/white fat on a piece of heavy duty vinyl or silicone mat. My fondant and/or gum paste releases easily and I never have to worry about white streaks, cleaning, or storage of leftovers that contain cornstarch (which, under the right/wrong circumstance can cause the sugars to ferment).

There shouldn't be an issue of "shininess" because you never turn the fondant over to the side that has been rolled on the crisco. It stays same-side-up the entire time, but as I roll, I turn it about 1/4th turn after every 3 or four passes of the rolling pin, ensuring that it doesn't stick & giving me the opportunity to make sure that the thickness is pretty even.

HTH
Rae

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 11

Hi, I use Trex to roll out sugarpaste and sometimes I use cornflour too. I had a bad experience with Regalice and when I add trex it started to become sticky. So now I use Covapate. For this I didn't need trex at all. I use a little bit of cornflour.

icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 9:41pm
post #9 of 11

As others have said, it can be done. But........
use as little as you can. Really rub it around. Some people even say to wipe w/a paper towel after applying it.

kbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbaby Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:11am
post #10 of 11

So if I was to try it what would I do?

Just rub it in to the surface im rolling on? and make sure I dont turn the paste around is that right?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:05pm
post #11 of 11

Yes, rub a small amount onto the surface that you use to roll out sugarpaste. The area should be the size that you want the final piece of paste to be, e.g. a 16 inch circle.

Take enough sugarpaste by weight to cover your cake, knead it with a small bit of white fat, and begin to roll. Roll it 3 or 4 strokes, turn it 1/4th turn, roll a bit again, turn it, until you have it the size you need. Don't turn it over! Lift it with your hands or with your rolling pin & place on the cake & smooth.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%