Does Anybody Know How To Do This On A Cake???

Decorating By sbcakes Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 2:14pm by sbcakes

sbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbcakes Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:07am
post #1 of 5

I have a request for this cake. I think it may be spun sugar, but I don't have a clue on how to achieve this look? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much!!!
Lacey
LL

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:05am
post #2 of 5

Yes it is spun sugar--isn't it pretty??!!

It's boiled sugar that will drip from a utensil in that fine weavey wavy mass like golden straw--would have to be done day of, at the last minute and you would have to practice how to get the hang of it. I suggest just googling spun sugar and start reading up.

I wonder how that would travel for delivery. It is real ticky about humidity.

The logistics of the wedding day would come into play if I considered doing this cake.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:12am
post #3 of 5

I did this on a cream puff stack, Martha Stewart recipe. It was fun, I just dut the end off a cheap metal whisk. I agree with the previous post, humidity would kill this. good luck...oh and practise.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:48am
post #4 of 5

I demonstrated this technique at an ICES DOS. Here are the instructions that accompanied my demo:

Spun Sugar (Angel Hair)

2-2/12 cups granulated sugar
Scant ½ cup water
Scant 2/3 cup corn syrup

Place the sugar, water and corn syrup in a heavy-bottom saucepan over medium-high heat. Insert a candy thermometer and cook until it reaches 311°F (155°C) or hard crack stage. Remove from heat and pour into a heatproof glass bowl to stop the cooking. Add color now, if desired. Place bowl at your work surface.

Once the bubbles have subsided, hold a wooden dowel horizontally in front of you, about a foot above a work surface covered with a large silicone mat or a sheet of parchment. With your other hand, dip a fork into the hot sugar, hold it above the bowl until the sugar flows in an even stream, then rapidly wave the fork back and forth about 6 inches above the dowel. As the sugar falls freely from the fork, it will stretch into thin strands. When the dowel is completely covered, gently remove the angel hair and set aside. Repeat until you have used all of the sugar or have made the desired amount. Use immediately.

Avoid making this on days with high humidity as the sugar may âmeltâ or never set up properly. On a dry day, the sugar should hold its shape for a few hours.

sbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbcakes Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the responses...I have forwarded this info on to the bride and have explained the precautions. I have left this up to her! Thanks again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%