Red Velvet Cake

Decorating By onceuponacake Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 2:23am by kakeladi

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 9

Okey dokey: I'm trying to find a great scratch red velvet recipe

1. Has anyone made Kakeladi's white recipe and add the cocoa and food coloring?

2. I've seen scratch recipes that basically add red food coloring and 1 tsp of cocoa (and of course other ingred. typical to red velvet like vinegar and buttermilk).

3. I've seen scratch recipes where it is a chocoalte cake with red food coloring.

Which is the authentic recipe? 2 or 3

Will I get a nice red velvet with Kakelaid's WASC>

Thanks!!!

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 9

.......Will I get a nice red velvet with Kakelaid's WASC......>

Sure will icon_smile.gif
Use a light choco mix w/all the other ingredient and maybe a 1/4 teaspoon red gel (liquid gel if you have it OR airbrush color). Can use more if you think it's needed.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 9

hey kakeladi!!! will it work with using the white cake mix and adding the cocoa and red food coloring?

what is a traditional red velvet cake suppose to taste like anyway?

ive only had the duncan hines red velvet cake mix and it tastes exactly like chocolate..some others have said that southern red velvet has a unique taste..im confrused

kakeladi Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 9

A 'triditional' one is a *very!* mild choco flavor.
Some people even say they can't taste any choco.
Yah, I'd say a southern one would have a unique taste.......lots of food coloring! icon_sad.gif
I have seen recipes that use anywhere from 2 to 4 oz of the liquid (grocery store) coloring. That is bound to effect the taste.
I haven't made one using a white cake mix but I don't see why not....I would use at least 1 Tablespoon of cocoa not a teaspoon.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:10am
post #5 of 9

I just got the most perfect recipe for red velvet. I never liked it before and couldnt understand the taste. My aunt who has been a baker for over 40 years just gave me her recipe and it only has 1/2 tsp of cocoa and no vinagar. I made it this week and it was to die for. It didnt taste like chocolate but it has a mild distinct flavor. It only used one bottle of food coloring so it didnt have too much of that taste in it. It was moist and firm.

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:39am
post #6 of 9

I have one posted...old fashon red velvet cake with milk and flour icing...its the real deal, not chocolate cake with a ton of food color. "REAL" rv is a little dense in texture and only has a very mild chocolate taste, if any. Its a unique flavor all of its own.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:02am
post #7 of 9

Kakeladi
Do you use the Duncan Hines Red Velvet mix with your WASC recipe?
Would you add any flavorings or just leave that out?
Do you add anything else?
Thanks
Becky

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:18am
post #8 of 9

Ok if you want scratch this is the one to try! I have gotten nothing but rave reviews with this recipe! I don't do it with the berries just my normal BC and it is quite tasty...

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/RED-VELVET-CAKE-WITH-RASPBERRIES-AND-BLUEBERRIES-108256

HTH,

Kim

kakeladi Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:23am
post #9 of 9

........Kakeladi
Do you use the Duncan Hines Red Velvet mix with your WASC recipe?
Would you add any flavorings or just leave that out? ..........

No I don't use DH RV mix! I don't like it at all!! icon_sad.gif
I use a milk choco and yes, I add the usual mix of van; butter; & almond flavoring. I've only made it a few times and the customer seems pleased w/my offering. I added airbrush coloring -- didn't measure it, but maybe 1 Tablespoon?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%