Magic Cake Strips

Decorating By momma28 Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 8:45pm by Jocmom

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 7

I think thats what they are called at least .Does anyone use them to reduce the amount of leveling by cutting you have to do? I also think I read somewhere that you can use damp strips of kitchen towels as a cheaper alternative. Anyone us those? Just curious

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 7

If you search the Forums on this topis you'll find a gazillion threads. I have the Magic Strips - in the back of the coset. Too much trouble for me in the volume I do, but they do work. When you search the treads, you'll find that IndyDeb explains why they work.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 7

thank you icon_smile.gif

FYI Every time I see your posts with your picture I am completely intimdated. So professional icon_smile.gif I on the other hand bake with my hair in braids that my husband says makes me look like pipi longstockings ( I have long hair and dont want anyone finding one in a cake LOL) and a christmas apron I use all year round LOL.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 7

they are expensive and a pain.

There are tons of tips on this website.

Instead of baking at 350.... i bake at 325 and this helps alot.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 7

I use them on cakes 12" and larger and still bake at 325degrees. (I only bake at 325)

As for the "homemade" aluminum foil/paper towel strips.....I don't see how these are "less expensive" than the bake even strips. Not only do you have to make one each time you bake because they are not reusable, but paper towels and aluminum foil are not cheap. Way too time consuming for me.

If you get the 40% off coupon from Michael's circular today, the strips will cost you $12.00 (they are $19.99 reg price) You get 4 strips in the package, enough for many sized pans. I love them and use them all the time (when I don't forget, which is a lot lately icon_wink.gif ) The cakes I use them on don't ever have to be levelled, it's really nice.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 7

Another 'homemade' cost saving way is to use toweling--you can re-use it until it eventually falls apart. Then just fasten it together with t-pins. Works great. I've done this forever.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 7

I used the homemade towel strips until my son gave me several sets of the Wilton strips for a birthday gift. I use them - and they work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%