Purple Icing

Decorating By jordanaz Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 7:01am by Skirt

jordanaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jordanaz Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making my sister's wedding cake, and her theme colours are dark purple and a lime-green. I found a nice lime-green colour easily, but not only have I not been able to find a nice dark purple, but I've also heard that a LOT of them fade to blue very quickly. So I'm just wondering if anyone's had a lot of experience with purple food colouring/powder, and which type is the best/where did you buy it from? I live just north of Toronto by the way, so if you know any stores near me that I could buy it from would be nice. Or else I could order it from a website if there's nowhere near me! Thanks!

8 replies
pattycakesc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesc Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 3:56am
post #2 of 9

go to your local grocery store first see if the bakery carries briil colored icing if not search online for brill cake decorating products when you find it you will want brilliant blue and brilliant pink icing you will want to mix 3 parts blue to one part pink adjusting more blue for darker more pink for a brighter purple if needed this makes beautiful shades of purple and its a stiff icing great for makink flowers thumbs_up.gif

Jennifer9800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer9800 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 4:25am
post #3 of 9

For a nice dark rich purple I use the wilton gels. I use the purple wilton gel and some of the wilton black a little at a time, and i do mean a little at a time, while mixing to get a nice color. I've NEVER had mine fade to a blue if anything when my icing crusts it is a bit darker so if you have a crusting buttercream you might want to test it first to see how dark it will dry. good luck!

need2sleep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
need2sleep Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 12:53am
post #4 of 9

Jennifer9800 - do you start with white or chocolate buttercream? Thanks for the tip.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 12:57am
post #5 of 9

The Americolor colors are the BEST! You don't have to use near as much as the Wilton to get a good rich color.

PurpleIcing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurpleIcing Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 4:34am
post #6 of 9

Hello? You called? hehe Just kidden.

Laters!

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:32am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleIcing

Hello? You called? hehe Just kidden.

Laters!