Doing A Slot Machine Cake - Questions...

Decorating By saramachen Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 4:05pm by costumeczar

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 4

I am doing a cake for my aunts birthday and I am using Spills cake as inspiration. Here is the link to the photo (Thanks Spills)

Slot Machine Cake

I want to do the star piping using white chocolate ganache. Can i do that? I have been reading all afternoon about ganache and i have used it to cover cuppies before but i haven't used it very much. Do i whip it up and then just pipe it like i would bc??

Also i am going to make the reels out of fondant/gumpaste. How do I attach them? Im thinking RI, but i am not sure.

TIA ! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 4

I think that white chocolate ganache would be way too soft for that. I'd use regular buttercream because of the color, or a meringue buttercream if they didn't want as much color (the candy food colorings are oil-based and work better in meringue buttercreams than regular water-based colors.)

For the handle I'd just build it with dowels joined into a shape like this I_I , with the handle part on the bottom part, then just stick the straight "I" parts into the cake to hold it in. Does that make sense? icon_confused.gif

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 4

good idea for the handle. I meant the reels which are the spinning parts with the cherries or 7s on them. I need to attach them to the front of the cake.

Thanks!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 4

Oh, duh...sorry. I'd make those out of gumpaste or fondant by drying a sheet of it over a flower former or a paper towel roll. That will give you the curved shape. You should be able to just stick it into the icing/cake and have it stay put.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%