Lumpy Fondant Finish

Decorating By sherism Updated 27 Sep 2008 , 11:26pm by JenniferMI

sherism Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherism Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 4

I seem to have problem with lumpy fondant finish - no matter how much I smooth. I use the Wilton Decorator Icing in the big tub, and put as little as I can on without showing crumbs. Then when I smooth the fondant I usually smooth some of the icing down and out. It looks good when I'm done, but the next day when I serve the cake it looks lumpy.

Help!! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 4

I have the same problem no matter what icing I use. I asked the same question here and other members recommended I roll my fondant thicker. It seemed to help a lot. It looks like cake cellulite right?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 4

You have to treat it like you would your foundation garments...the cake itself needs to be smooth and trimmed. If it isnt what happens is the fondant settles and you see all the lumps in your cake. You also need to smooth out your buttercream. If it is lump, so will your fondant be lumpy..

I roll my fondant fairly thin (less then 1/4 inch) and use a crumb coat of bc...

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 4

I never have that problem.... I use a normal layer of buttercream with a thin layer of my chocolate fondant.

If I can help, feel free to e-mail me

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%