Once More!! Exchange Recipes For Favorite Appetizers-Please

Lounge By Cookies4kids Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 4:28pm by sherrycanary62

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:20pm
post #91 of 144

mmm...that sounds good too!

We do one that is sour cream, mayo. Knorr's vegetable soup mix, and spinach. Hollow out a round loaf of pumpernickle bread, put the dip in the middle and use the bread cubes to dip. It's really good too! Oh, we don't heat this one up just serve it cold.

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:39pm
post #92 of 144

Don't know if this counts as an Appetizer, but sure does taste awesome and has been a big hit every time I make it. Here it goes:

Jailhouse Cook-Out

1 1/2 lbs. Summer Sausage (Chopped)

6-8 Dill Pickles (Chopped)

2 handfuls of Doritos (Crushed)

4 cans (little ones) Frito-Lay Jalapeno Cheese dip.

Mix in large bowl. Put in fridge for 30-45 mins.

Spread on Kiebler Snack Crackers or Triscuts.

Enjoy!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:51pm
post #93 of 144

I was on vacation and I found this recipe in a magazine.

Stuffed shrimp

large shrimp
shredded parmesan
chopped basil
bacon really cheap thin kind
barbeque sauce
jelly

Shrimp deveined and stuff the parmesan and basil inside, wrap the bacon around the shrimp. Combine the bar-b-que and jelly (any kind) It just needs to be sweet. I usually use raspberry jelly. Spread the sauce on shrimp and then put it in the oven and broil until the bacon is done.

Sandralee903 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandralee903 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:35pm
post #94 of 144

Here's my Stuffed Mushroom recipe. Everyone loves themâ¦me too!

STUFFED MUSHROOMS

1 lb button mushrooms
1 pkg sliced pepperoni, chopped
1 small onion diced
1 Tbsp oil
¼ cup ketchup (or more if you like)
Mozzarella Cheese

Clean mushrooms & remove stems. (I use stems for other recipes) Saute onions in oil. Add chopped pepperoni & ketchup. Fill mushrooms with meat mixture. Top with mozzarella cheese. Bake
at 400° for 15 minutes.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:04pm
post #95 of 144

These are my two favorites

Spinach Artichoke Pinwheels

Even people I know that don't like spinach like these.
Take a puff pastry sheet from the freezer to thaw then make your favorite spinach artichoke dip. Flour you counter top and the puff pastry then roll it out a bit but be careful not to roll it too thin. Then, spread the dip over the pastry sheet and roll the sheet into a log. Place in the refrigerator to harden a bit. Once it is hard enough to slice pull it out and slice it making the pinwheels about 1/3 inch thick. Place the pinwheels on a greased cookie sheet and back until the pastry is done, usually 15-20 minutes. I believe that one roll yields about 20 pieces.

Feta Cheese Puffs

Again, take a sheet of puff pastry out to thaw.

Combine:
1/2 pack (4oz) cream cheese at room temp
1/2 container of feta cheese (I use the garlic and herb flavored)
3 green onions chopped (I just use my scissors)
1/2-1 tsp of dried basil flakes (I don't uses these if I uses the garlic herb feta cheese)

Mash the ingredients together until well blended and spreadable. Flour your counter and the puff pastry then roll it out but not too thin. From here you can do one of two things. 1) you can spread the cheese over half the sheet, fold the other half over and seal it so the cheese doesn't come out. Bake then cut into 1" strips. Yields about 10-15 strips or, 2) you can cut out squares, spread the cheese on, fold into a triangle, seal, then bake. Yields about 10-15 triangles. Bake until the puff pastry is done, usually about 15-20 minutes.

Sometimes we have appetizer days where we snack all day long instead of having meals....usually Sundays. These are two recipes that are popular for our snack days. ENJOY!!! icon_biggrin.gif

ShayShay Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 7:05pm
post #96 of 144

What great recipes and just in time for entertaining season too! Thanks for sharing!

grannyrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannyrose Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:22am
post #97 of 144

OK ladies, lets keep going, I'm sure you'll have lots more of these great recipes hidden in the back of your mind. Here's one from me:

Ham and cheese Puffs

1 pack (2 - 3 oz) sliced fully cooked ham chopped fine
1/2 cup Swiss cheese shredded
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp mustard (I prefer dijon)
1/8 tsp pepper

1 pack crescent rolls

divide crescent dough into 24 even portions
press each portion in bottom and up sides of a mini muffin cup

combine 1st 6 ingredients

spoon 1 tablespoon ham mixture into each cup

bake 13-15 minutes at 350 degrees - each puff should be golden brown
combine first 6 ingredients

grannyrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannyrose Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:46am
post #98 of 144

OH, almost forgot - when making mini quiches, you can use crescent roll dough but that seems to be getting more expensive by the day so why not try some cheaper alternatives:

You can make your own puff pastry cups / phyllo dough cups / egg roll wrapper cups /pie dough cups and/or toasted bread cups by cutting out the dough of your choice with your cookie cutters and pressing into the mini muffin cups

Also - what about fruit appetizers? Stuffed strawberries always seem to be the first to go, you can cut them in half (from top to bottom) and fill with your favorite fruit dip, softened spreadable strawberry cream cheese, or the new cheesecake filling you can find in the stores. They also make a beautiful presentation.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:26am
post #99 of 144

ShayShay I'm sorry, I just now checked this thread. I would have posted the recipes you asked about sooner if I would have checked in sooner. I'm away from the folder with the recipes that I use. I'll try to find them for you. The 2 stuffed mushroom recipes on here are pretty close I think to the one I have. The med. crab cakes though I need to find. I'm re-modeling (it's taking forever--I swear this house will never be done!) so I'm not sure where it's at this time around. I promise I will post it as soon as I can.

In the meantime may I also suggest that you can make ravioli from scratch or you can buy the frozen kind. Boil as suggested and then pat dry. Do the standard breading procedure of flour-egg-italian bread crumbs. Then either deep fry or pan fry/saute them. Have a dipping sauce on the side. My goodness, these are amazing! I've made them from scratch with a ricotta cheese -chicken-italian seasoning with basil and sundried tomato plus smoked bacon filling. (I do this by eye so no recipe--sorry) However, I've done it with the basic meat and cheese ravioli's from the grocery store freezer and they work just as well in a pinch. In fact it's a lot less work to go this route, but people still ooh-and ahhh over them.
I serve these with a simple marinara or a sundried tomato-basil pesto.

(this is a simple yet easy way to change up pasta. I don't share this often, so feel special. I just love all you CCers.)

ShayShay Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:22pm
post #100 of 144

No problem mkolmar. I understand what remodeling is like! It is an ongoing project at my house! thanks for sharing the ravioli recipe! There are so many great recipes on this thread I hope we can keep it going!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:44am
post #101 of 144

Oh no!! we cant let this thread die off !!! Anyone out there?? we all might want to try several of these recipes for the Holidays!

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 1:21am
post #102 of 144

Hopefully it doesn't die off. This is a good one. I want to try a few of the recipes.

fiddlesticks Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 1:28am
post #103 of 144

Yep.. were getting to where we have lots of reasons to use all these tasty recipes now!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 5:00am
post #104 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildrose6633

My daughter always makes these for parties:
A bag of pitted dates
chunk of parmesano reggiano cheese
1- lb. of bacon

Sliver some of the cheese into a piece that will fit inside the date, Cut the bacon strips in half.

Take a date and place the cheese inside the date and wrap up in the bacon. Place on a baking sheet with a cooling rack so the grease drains. Bake until bacon is crisy and done.

It sounds weird but it is the hit of every party. They are heavenly. thumbs_up.gif

Oh wow! I made these tonight for a dinner party I gave.. They were delicious... really good thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I was so hoping they would turn out well, because that cheese is really expensive.. but it was worth every penny.. Thanks so much for sharing this one.. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 7:17pm
post #105 of 144

I love to make these. You can easily adjust this recipe to serve how ever many you need. This recipe serves about 8, depending on who I invited icon_lol.gif Another thing I like is that you can fill the potatoes with anything you like.

Baked Potato Skins

15-20 potatoes, baked (depends on the size)
2-3 tbsp butter, melted
Lawrys garlic salt or what ever seasoning you like
2 green onions, diced
6-8 strips of crisp bacon, chopped or crumbled
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream or Ranch dressing

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
Cut the potatoes in half and scoop out the insides, leaving about 1/4 inch of the potato left on the skin. Brush inside of the potato shells with melted butter and sprinkle garlic salt to taste. Bake for 15-20 minutes until crisp, but not dry and hard. Sprinkle with cheese, bacon and onion, place back in oven until cheese is melted. When cheese is melted add a scoop of sour cream or ranch dressing . Some times we make these with bleu cheese, bacon and avocado....Yummmmmmmmy!

I usually make mashed potatoes with the potato you scoop out of the skins. One time I made mashed potatoes and added the cheese, bacon and onions and then piped them into the skins, then topped with more cheese bacon and onions. The kids really loved those.

How I bake my potatoes:

I preheat the oven to 400°. I clean the potatoes and dry them off. I poke it with a fork about 6 times, to let the steam out when they bake. I rub them with Olive oil and rub a little sea salt on them. I put a cooling rack on a cookie sheet and set the potatoes on the cooling rack. Put them into the middle of the oven. They take about an hour. I do these in two batches. Sometimes I bake the potatoes the day before and refrigerate until I am ready for them. I never put foil on the potatoes because it steams them and the skin will pull away from the potato.

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 1:45am
post #106 of 144

I was just reading back through some of these great recipes, and I just wanted to say "thanks" to everyone who participated in any way. Also thanks to the gals who kept the recipes on these various threads in a file so we will have them forever!!!!!! What fun it will be to have all these new things to try this holiday season. I wish all of you and your families a very wonderful Thanksgiving Day. This place is like having a whole new family to share things with. I am so glad to be a part of it.
Lily

fiddlesticks Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 1:56am
post #107 of 144

Happy Thanksgiving everyone ! Its been another fun thread !
Thanks to Lily for starting it for us to enjoy!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 3:07am
post #108 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Happy Thanksgiving everyone ! Its been another fun thread !
Thanks to Lily for starting it for us to enjoy!

fiddlesticks...... Happy Thanksgiving to you too! I waved at ya when I drove by your way last week when dh and I drove to see his family in Indiana.....
Gobble Gobble.... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 2:42pm
post #109 of 144

HI Laura!! Im waving back at ya now !!

ShayShay Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 8:56pm
post #110 of 144

On the first page Meemawfish has a recipe for meatballs that uses grape jelly and cocktail sauce. Is cocktail sauce the same sauce that you dip shrimp in? Kind of like a tomato sauce with horseradish in it?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 12:51am
post #111 of 144

Wow and here I thought this thread had died, yet several pages were added. I'm sooo behind the times! icon_rolleyes.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 1:40am
post #112 of 144

ShayShay.. I would think it is. I make that same recipe but I use the jar of chilli sauce. It also good if you use the raspberry ( cake ) filling sleeve and add to the jar of sauce! Part of the trick is cooking it slow for a longer time till its nice and thick YUMMY!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 1:59am
post #113 of 144

Three of my favorite appetizers: stuffed mushrooms with a parmasan cheese, crab meat and ritz cracker,onion garlic stuffing.
2) a baked brie with apricot jelly and walnuts wrapped in a pastry
3) mini quiches with spinach, bacon, garlic and onions in it. Most people that have these think that their bought because I use a scalloped cookie cutter to cut out my circle and then press them into the mini cupcake mold.

curliesue26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curliesue26 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:01am
post #114 of 144

Thought someone else would have posted...

Pickle Roll Ups:

Deli Ham
Cream cheese
Whole Dill Pickles

Spread cream cheese on a slice of deli ham. Roll pickle up inside slice of ham. Slice in 1/4 inch slices...enjoy!

ShayShay Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 5:24am
post #115 of 144

Thank you so much Fiddle! I really want to try these, the raspberry sounds very interesting also!

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 5:41am
post #116 of 144

If you like mushrooms, you will LOVE this recipe from Bon Appetit. Everytime I make it, people rave about it. And it is not hard or time-consuming. I'm salivating just thinking about it.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Crostini-with-Mushrooms-Prosciutto-and-Blue-Cheese-107462

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 5:53am
post #117 of 144

Okay, here's another winner from Bon Appetit. Just a few ingredients, easy, and yummy. A good combo, yes?

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pancetta-Crisps-with-Goat-Cheese-and-Pear-231265?sisterSite=bonappetit.com

fiddlesticks Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 12:49pm
post #118 of 144

weirkd.... can you share how to make these ?? Please!!

3) mini quiches with spinach, bacon, garlic and onions in it. Most people that have these think that their bought because I use a scalloped cookie cutter to cut out my circle and then press them into the mini cupcake mold.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 1:27pm
post #119 of 144

Appetizers! Love them!

I'll add them as I have time. Keep these coming!!!

Sorry this is long, but these are some of mine that are made every year without question! Have to have them!

Jalapeno Wraps from Vicky

Buy a bunch of jalapeno peppers.
Cut them (wear disposable gloves) in half lengthwise.
Take out the seeds.
Fill each pepper with cream cheese.
Take a pound of bacon and cut strips in 1/2 width wise.
Wrap each pepper with 1/2 piece of bacon.
arrange on bakng sheet or baking dish.
Bake in 350 oven for about 45 minutes or until bacon i crisp.

Tortilla Roll ups from Vicky

Mix: (2) 8oz. cream cheese, softened
(1) Hidden Valley Ranch dry mix
(2) chopped fine, green onions

buy large flour tortillas (1 package).
On each tortilla, spread equal amounts of the above spread.

Sprinkle on each tortilla, chopped thin and drained of any juice, chopped celery, red pepper, and black olives.

Roll up each tortilla. Wrap in saran wrap overnight. Next day, slice each roll into 1/2" slices.

Cheese spread from Vicky

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 T. milk
2-1/2 oz jar dried beef (rinsed, as it is salty)(Armour makes this)
2 T. dried onion flakes
2 T. green onion chopped
1/2 t. lemon pepper
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup walnuts, coarsly cut

Soften cheese. Add milk, onion and lemon pepper.
Fold in dried beef (chopped fine) and sour cream.
Spread in 9" pie plate.
Sprinkle with walnuts over top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Keep hot.
Serve with Triscuits.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 1:40pm
post #120 of 144

This is my daughters favorite!

Taco Bean dip from Vicky

Need tortilla chips to dip with.

1/2 pound ground beef
(1) 15 oz can mashed refried beans
(1) 8 oz. can tomato sauce
(1) 1-1/4 oz pkg. dry taco seasoning mix
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 medium green pepper, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. chili powder

Cook burger till done in skillet. Drain. Stir in beans, tomato sauce, seasoning mix, onion, grn. pepper, mustart and chili powder.

Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.

Spread in ungreased pie plate.

In center of plate, top with shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes (anything you would top a taco with!).

Here is an added topping I love on top of this:
Mix 1 cup of sour cream
1/4 tsp. chili powder
This sour cream gives it a bit more kick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%