Once More!! Exchange Recipes For Favorite Appetizers-Please

Lounge By Cookies4kids Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 4:28pm by sherrycanary62

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 144

I don't know if this will be acceptable but I would love to round out these exchange threads with one for appetizers. I volunteer at a camp for handicapped kids and adults and our big fundraiser to make money to send these kids to camp is in December. It is a wine tasting and appetizer party with auctions, bakesale, raffles, etc. We try to change the recipes every year and I would be so happy to get all your favorites as in the other two threads. Our tag line for this event is "it is a privilege to do for those who cannot do for themselves." Please share!!!!!!

143 replies
Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 144

icon_lol.gif Lily, I found you!!! icon_lol.gif

Okay, I am typing some recipes now, will be posting soon!! thumbs_up.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 144

Im so glad you found the thread ! Yahoooo!! I cant wait to see the yummmy recipes !!!

Katie-Bug Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 144

Red Potatoes with Walnuts and Gorgonzola

OnCooking
Pg. 915

Yield: 80 pieces

Baby Red Potatoes         40
Salt and Pepper        TT
Fresh Thyme          2 tsp.
Olive Oil          2 fl. oz.
Cream Cheese          8 oz.
Gorgonzola          3 oz.
Bacon, cooked and crumbled      1 oz.
Sour Cream          4 oz.
Walnuts, chopped        1 ½ oz.
Worcestershire        TT
Tabasco          TT  
Chives            3 T.

1. Cut the potatoes in half and scoop out a portion of the inside with a scoop.

2. Toss the potatoes with the salt, pepper, thyme, and olive oil. Arrange on baking sheet, flat side down, and bake @ 400â until brown and cooked through, approximately 15 minutes.

3. Soften the cream cheese, with a mixer add the cheese, bacon, sour cream, and walnuts mix until smooth. Season with the Worcestershire, Tabasco, and chives.

4. Using a pastry bag fill potatoes and sprinkle with chives.

Katie-Bug Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 144

Tennessee Sin

Yield: 12 servings

French Bread      2 loaves
Cream Cheese      8oz
Shredded Cheddar    2 cups
Sour Cream    8 oz
Ham      Â¾ cup
Green Onions    Â½ cup
Worcestershire    Â½ t
Garlic Powder    Â½ t

1. Hollow out one loaf, reserving the inside to be cubed for dipping. Cube the other loaf and toast bread
2. Beat cream cheese at medium speed, add sour cream, and mix. Stir in the cheese and seasonings.
3. Spoon into the bread bowl and wrap in foil. Bake @ 350â for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Katie-Bug Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 144

Vermont Turkey Club

Source: www.eatturkey.com
Yield: 10 rolls

Silver Dollar Rolls       10
Roasted turkey breast      5 lbs.
Swiss cheese      10 slices
White Cheddar Cheese    10 slices
Bacon        20 slices
Mushrooms, sliced and sautéed   2 ½ cups
Smokey Dressing      1 recipe

1. Slice rolls and apply dressing.
2. Stuff with cheese, turkey, bacon, and mushrooms.

Smokey Honey-Dijon Dressing

Dijon mustard      Â½ cup
Honey        Â¼ cup
Mayo        Â¼ cup
Smokey barbecue sauce    2 T
Sour cream      2 T

1. Combine all ingredients, whisk well, and cover.

Katie-Bug Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 144

Okay, these are a few of mine. I have tons, but most don't really have recipes... icon_redface.gif

I am a big, some of this and some of this...here it is..kinds cook. icon_redface.gif

The Tennessee Sin is always a huge hit an super easy!! The potatoes are really good an more elegant. The turkey clubs are kinda messy but really good. I generally overstuff icon_mad.gif , but try not to.

fiddlesticks Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 144

WOW!!! Awesome recipes !! Thanks!!!!

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 144

I have made these twice now and they are super easy to make and everyone really liked them.

Bacon and Tomato Cups

INGREDIENTS:
8 slices bacon*
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
3 ounces shredded Swiss
cheese 1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 (16 ounce) can refrigerated
buttermilk biscuit dough

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a mini muffin pan.
2. In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until evenly brown. Drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon into a medium mixing bowl, and mix with tomato, onion, Swiss cheese, mayonnaise and basil.
3. Separate biscuits into halves horizontally*. Place each half into cups of the prepared mini muffin pan. Fill each biscuit half with the bacon mixture.
4. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven , or until golden brown.

** I chopped the bacon before cooking and I also divided the dough into thirds, shaped it ino a ball, flattened it into a circle and then pressed into mini muffin pan.**

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:13pm
post #10 of 144

Tried, true and always a hit.

Cold Vegetable Pizza

2 Pkg Refrigerated Crescent Rolls
16 Ounces cream cheese -- Softened
1 Cup mayonnaise
1 Envelope Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing
1/2 Cup chopped broccoli
1/2 Cup chopped tomatoes
1/2 Cup green, red, and/or yellow peppers
1/2 Cup chopped carrots
1/2 Cup chopped celery
1/2 Cup chopped cauliflower
1/2 Cup black olives
1 Cup cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Press out crescent rolls in a jelly roll pan and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool in baking sheet until completely or dressing mixture will liquefy.

Mix together the cream cheese, mayonnaise and Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing. Spread mixture on top of cooled crescents.

Sprinkle the chopped vegetables over pan and top with shredded cheese. Chill several hours or overnight.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:46pm
post #11 of 144

Boy we've got some interesting appetizers here -- I'm looking forward to trying them!! Thanks for posting!! icon_biggrin.gif

Katie-Bug Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:53pm
post #12 of 144

Shay, I do BL-Tomatoes. I take small tomatoes an stuff them with almost the same mixture as your recipe- minus the biscuit.
They do go over really good!

Ladivarcrj- I was just looking for a copy of this recipe the other day. I had a lady call an ask if I could make some for a housewarming. Thanks!!! thumbs_up.gif

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:59pm
post #13 of 144

Okay I want in on this:

Meatballs in a crock pot

Pack of meatballs or make your own
Grape jelly
Cocktail sauce

Put in crockpot and stir. I usually start these frozen and let them cook all day. They are very yummy. icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 7:11pm
post #14 of 144

Oh Meemaw I love those !!! I thought I didnt have any appetizer recipes Yikes!!!But I make that one !ut we dont use it as an appetizer, we just add it as a side to what ever the variety is!

Katie-Bug Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 7:25pm
post #15 of 144

Okay, here is one I just got a few weeks ago. I have been dying to make, hopefully I'll get to next week.

Hoppin' John Spread
Yield: 3 cups

Country Ham, cooked 12oz.
Mayo 3/4 cup
Celery, chopped 1/4 cup
Onion, chopped 1/4 cup
Green Bell Pepper, chopped 1/4 cup
Black-Eyed Peas, rinsed 15 oz.
Lemon, zested an juice 1
Black Pepper TT
Crushed Pepper TT

1. In food processor, pulse ham until ground
2. In large bowl, combine ham, mayo, celery, onion, pepper, peas, lemon, and seasoning.
3. Stri well to combine, and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.

Don't know for sure, but it sounds wonderful!!! The photos showed it served on Pepper-Jack Bread!

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 7:26pm
post #16 of 144

My favorite book for get togethers is the 4 Ingredient Cook Book. You can find so many great, and EASY appetizes, sides, you name it - it's in there! Here's a couple that I've tried from there, and I LOVE them.

Mini quiches
1 can of biscuits
2 eggs
1/2 cup shredded cheese
1/4 cup green onions

Divide biscuits in to three, and push in to mini muffin cups. Combine eggs, cheese and onions and pour in to biscuits. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes, or golden brown. (I think it's 375 - use whatever heat is on the biscuit can)

Bacon Roll ups
1 can of crescent rolls
4 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup sour cream
1 T garlic powder

Combine bacon, sour cream and garlic powder. Open crescent rolls on cookie sheet. "Brush" on mixture, and roll up. Bake at 375 (again go by what's on the can) for 10-12 minutes.

I'm going by memory on these, so you may need a bit more of this or that for the fillings. I always overstuff everything. icon_lol.gif [/u]

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 8:07pm
post #17 of 144

Meemawfish - do you use equal amounts of the grape jelly and cocktail sauce?

I'm so glad I found this thread - my nephew is having a 25th anniversary party for his parents (my sis and bil) Nov. 15 and of course, guess who he asked to help make food? And the cake? Luckily I love the kid!!

What does gorgonzola cheese taste like? Is that the really smelly one? That recipe sounds good, but I don't know what the cheese tastes like!

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 8:09pm
post #18 of 144

Gorgonzola tastes like bleu cheese. I swap it out all the time.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 8:17pm
post #19 of 144

This is my mom's recipe and one of our favorites. It so simple, but so good.

Velvetta Roll

1 block of velvetta (depends on how big you want it)
cream cheese
diced olives
diced green chilies

Roll out the velvetta between two sheets of plastic wrap. Try to make a rectangle. Remove top layer of plastic wrap. Spread cream cheese(how ever thick you want it) spread the olives and green chilies. Roll into a log, using the bottom layer of plastic wrap to help you. Serve with crackers or tortilla chips. I've added salsa to the center and then poured some salsa on top. It's really good. The last time I made it, I used pepper jack velvetta. Yummy!

Wildrose6633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildrose6633 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 8:41pm
post #20 of 144

My daughter always makes these for parties:
A bag of pitted dates
chunk of parmesano reggiano cheese
1- lb. of bacon

Sliver some of the cheese into a piece that will fit inside the date, Cut the bacon strips in half.

Take a date and place the cheese inside the date and wrap up in the bacon. Place on a baking sheet with a cooling rack so the grease drains. Bake until bacon is crisy and done.

It sounds weird but it is the hit of every party. They are heavenly. thumbs_up.gif

Katie-Bug Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 8:50pm
post #21 of 144

Oh, I forgot- I can't even get Gorgonzola in my town. I sub it out for Blue cheese, I don't use quite as much as it calls for though. I'm not a huge blue cheese fan though.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 8:51pm
post #22 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

Gorgonzola tastes like bleu cheese. I swap it out all the time.

Thank you! Maybe I will make that, I know that I like bleu cheese!

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 8:54pm
post #23 of 144

Is cocktail sauce the same as seafood sauce. It's a red tomato type sauce with horseradish in it?

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 8:59pm
post #24 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemawfish

Okay I want in on this:

Meatballs in a crock pot

Pack of meatballs or make your own
Grape jelly
Cocktail sauce

Put in crockpot and stir. I usually start these frozen and let them cook all day. They are very yummy. icon_biggrin.gif

I have the same recipe but instead of cocktail sauce, I use chili sauce! Very yummy!

Katie-Bug Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 9:01pm
post #25 of 144

Yep, me too!! Chili Sauce and instead of meatballs we do Little Smokies. icon_lol.gif I could eat the whole blame thing of em'!!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 9:08pm
post #26 of 144

Buffalo Chicken Dip

Ingredients
2 (5 ounce) cans chicken, drained ((by the tuna in the grocery store))
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup ranch dressing
3/4 cup red hot sauce
shredded cheddar cheese, you decide how much
Frito corn chips, scoops

Directions
Beat cream cheese, ranch dressing, and red hot sauce.
Fold in shredded chicken.
Spread mixture into pie plate sprayed with Pam.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Add cheddar to top and bake an additional 10-15 minutes.
Serve hot with Frito scoops.

We love this with Fritos or Wheat Thins. It's requested every year at DH's work Christmas party!

cakecookingnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookingnut Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 9:09pm
post #27 of 144

OK I'm so on this but I have to leave the house right now. I'll be back soon with some recipes.

Thanks for the ones so far everyone.

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 9:12pm
post #28 of 144

Bacon Wrapped Stuffing

I box of StoveTop stuffing mix(or other brand)
Make as directed,then cool the mixture enough that you can handle it. Press into little balls and wrap with a piece or half a piece of bacon. Sometimes ,I find them easier if I push a toothpick into each to hold it together better.

Bake till bacon is done.

I got this recipe from a customer years ago so this is how I make it from memory. Super easy and a huge hit! Sometimes I have added a little garlic to the stuffing mix. Use whatever you want for a dipping sauce!
I have also made them ahead then just popped them in the fridge till needed and baked.

Nancy......everythings better with bacon!

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 9:17pm
post #29 of 144

Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts II SUBMITTED BY: CANDLELADY PHOTO BY: IMVINTAGE

"A tangy version of bacon wrapped chestnuts."

1 pound bacon ( I use turkey bacon for this -- less grease.)
2 (8 ounce) cans water chestnuts
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup chili sauce

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Cut each strip of bacon in half. Wrap one strip around one water chestnut. Secure with a wooden toothpick. Place in shallow baking dish.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 minutes.
While the wraps are baking, in a small mixing bowl combine brown sugar, mayonnaise, and chili sauce to make barbecue sauce. After the wraps have finished baking, transfer them (removing them from the grease) to a second shallow baking dish. Pour the sauce over the wraps.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10 to 15 additional minutes, or until bacon is crispy. Serve hot out of dish with toothpicks.

--- my SIL made this and it is wonderful. Lost the recipe she gave me but found it on allrecipes.com. Yummy. the orig recipe uses regular bacon, but I use turkey. I usually don't care for turkey bacon, but in this recipe it is yummy!

Katie-Bug Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 9:21pm
post #30 of 144

Jen- I have seen recipes for this, but hadn't ever tried it. I think I may make it for a Halloween party tommorow night!

ncbert- I have made stuffing balls before, but they were Cranberry Stuffing Balls. I haven't had any in a couple of years...um..you've got me craving some now!!

Another great dip, suprising to me but it is, White Bean Dip! I lost my recipes but it used Great Northern Beans, oil and water. You cook and mash them, add garlic, seasonings, cumin, and mayo. Garnish with green onions. Yum!! I even used with as a dip with left-over grilled pork chops, so good!!!! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%