Help! Applying Fondant To Buttercream

Decorating By ylescu Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 1:53am by JenniferMI

ylescu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ylescu Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:25am
post #1 of 7

Is it more advisable to apply fondant to a cake that has been a) coated with buttercream and just left at room temp to crust, or to b) immediately apply fondant onto a crumb coated cake IMMEDIATELY AFTER it has just been taken out of the refrigerator?

I've tried the 1st scenario but my fondant keeps wanting to slide off of the cake (even though I've lightly misted the BC with water to make the fondant adhere to it), and the 2nd method just makes working/smoothing the fondant hard because of sweating (I live in a generally "hot one moment then humid" area)

Can anybody suggest which method is better or whatever method/tips work for them?

6 replies
mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:49am
post #2 of 7

I roll out my fondant then put towels over it so it doesn't dry. Then I ice my cake and put my fondant on right after Ive iced the crumb coat. If your icing has already set and you need to get the fondant on still, use piping gel. It will hold the fondant no problem. It's very sticky though and it's harder to move the fondant of you didn't place it quite right.
HTH
Jen...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:01pm
post #3 of 7

The whole idea of icing the cake w/b'cream is to make a sticky surface for the fondant to adhere to so you don't want to let it crust before applying the fondant.
You could use piping gel; any jam; or b'cream to make the cake sticky for applying fondant. As you have found doing this on a cold cake is not the way to go. Keep the cake at room temp. No need to refrigerate it.

jordanaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jordanaz Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 7

I was just at a cake store the other day asking the same question. The lady told me that first you do the thin layer as the crumb-coat, which seals in all the crumbs, then you leave it in the fridge. Then you do the second coat of buttercream which is a thicker layer, and do it as perfectly smooth as you can, leave it in the fridge again to "harden" (although not actually harden because it doesnt fully harden anyways). Then you take it out and apply the fondant layer. I haven't tried it yet but it's supposed to work!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 7

There are MANY ways to do fondant cakes.... this is my way icon_smile.gif I roll out my thin chocolate fondant, then cover that with plastic wrap. Then, I ice the cake (no crumb coating needed) (I use my wax paper method- never crumb coat, don't have to wash pans eithericon_smile.gif . I put a normal layer of buttercream on the cake, immediately after smoothing, add the fondant. Works like a charm! I generally have no problems with my choc. fondant.

My .02 icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 7

[quote="JenniferMI"] (I use my wax paper method- never crumb coat, don't have to wash pans eithericon_smile.gif .

What is your wax paper method?
Thanks

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:53am
post #7 of 7

Hi!

It's a method I use to seal in all the moisture on my cakes and also not have to wash your cake pans. I'm all about saving any time I can, I'm busy! icon_smile.gif

I show/demonstrate how to do this on DVD # 1.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%