Help With Football Helmet Needed

Decorating By bubbles4500 Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 11:31pm by Karema

bubbles4500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubbles4500 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 10:47am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone-
I'm seeking advice to make a bengals football helmet. I'm ok with th actual decorating on the outside since their helmet is relatively simple. The customer wants it to be about 8 inches high and around. For those of you who have made these, did you carve it out of rounds...how many layers high did you go? Also, how do I form the face mask...I'm assuming gumpaste, but what do you form it on so that it looks the shape of the face mask. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Anita

8 replies
mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:25am
post #2 of 9

for the mask you could just roll out the gumpaste into snakes and the put them down individually on wax paper. Then let them dry with the shape you need and put them together after they are dry.
The rest I'm not sure about but I'm very inerested in how it's done. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

cakinqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakinqueen Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:07pm
post #3 of 9

I have the directions from one of the American cake dec mags. If you want PM me your email address and I will send them to you. The instructions are great!

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 6:04am
post #4 of 9

I was wondering if I could also get the directions from the ACD magazine, or do you know what issue it was ?? Please !
Thanks, mary

cakinqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakinqueen Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:19am
post #5 of 9

Pm me with your email address and I will send them.

Tracy71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy71 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 9

I have made a few helmets. In fact, I have to make another one in 2 weeks. I made five 8 inch rounds, stacked them, covered them with wax paper. Then I placed a few books on top overnight to smash the cakes to make sure there was no bulging after I carved it. Then, I carve the cake and decorate it. I have done a mask out of wire with fondant over the top, but kind of like the idea the other lady had of letting it harden on wax paper before putting it all together. Hope that helps.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 9

is there icing between the layers you stack?
Jen...

Tracy71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy71 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 9

Yes, there is icing between the layers, but you need to refridgerate it so the layers don't slide.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 11:31pm
post #9 of 9

I have to make a helmet for my aunts wedding next month. I would love instructions or any advice also. Im not panicking yet. Help Please!
My email is [email protected]

Thanks
Karema

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%