Omg... Huge Tip!

Decorating By Melvira Updated 27 Sep 2008 , 7:37pm by karapags

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:35am
post #1 of 18

I have this customer that always 'tips' me... she is very generous, and I love it. Today I delivered a cake to her, it was a very small cake, a $20 cake, but I actually asked for $25 because of some of the extras on it. (Disco glitter, rice paper butterflies, etc.) I knew she wouldn't have a problem with the extra cost, and if I hadn't asked her for it, she probably would've given it to me anyway. So, she pays me and I walk out to the car, didn't count it in front of her because I have complete trust in her and it just feels rude to me for some silly reason. I get to the car, go to put it in my wallet and my jaw dropped. I actually went inside and told her there was no way I could accept that much money! I said a tip was one thing, but this was crazy. She INSISTED I take it!! She wouldn't hear a word of it! What did she give me??? $80!!!! That is absolutely insane!!! (Yah, she's got money... not the point! Hehehe) But, I am going to make her something as a thank you. It turns out this week is her birthday and I didn't know it. (This cake was for someone else) That sounds like the perfect opportunity to do something nice for her!!

Edited to add: Yes, she did know how much she gave me. My mom asked that right away!! (It's a coworker of hers!) icon_lol.gif

17 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:46am
post #2 of 18

Somebody thinks your work is worth it! Be glad and pray that others see what she sees.

Maybe it is time for you to raise your prices.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:51am
post #3 of 18

wow! That's so exciting! It's so nice to feel appreciated, isn't it? She'll probably try to pay you for the "gift" you give her!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:52am
post #4 of 18

Congratulations...you should be proud.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 4:05am
post #5 of 18

It is kind of hard to find good and honesty in the world today. Your customer found it and wants to let you know how much she values that.....just the fact that you went back to her, in case it was a mistake, was additional proof to her.

Keep up the good work, America needs you.

Melvira Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 18

Thanks for the kind words guys!! I just had to share this, as it was so amazing to me! She paid me more than three times the amount!! Whew. She is so awesome!! I knew you guys would appreciate that after battling with customers who are constantly trying to get everything half price or less!!!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 18

Wow, my heart does a little flip when someone adds another $5 to the bill. I can't imagine (as I quickly do the math) someone giving an additional $55!!! That is so-o-o amazing for you! Sure beats the occasional obnoxious person who wants a $25 cake for $10, huh?

Melvira Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Wow, my heart does a little flip when someone adds another $5 to the bill. I can't imagine (as I quickly do the math) someone giving an additional $55!!! That is so-o-o amazing for you! Sure beats the occasional obnoxious person who wants a $25 cake for $10, huh?

EXACTLY!! My sentiments EXACTLY!!! thumbs_up.gif

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 4:01pm
post #9 of 18

That's wonderful! Make sure to post pictures of your "thank you" gift for us to see!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 4:06pm
post #10 of 18

Congrats on a superb job and having added such a kind customer to your clientelle!

I did cartwheels when I offered to deliver a cake 2 hrs for free and the MOB gave me an extra $100 anyway, to "cover gas"!

Sometimes it pays to go above and beyond for a customer.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 18

That's great!! It's so nice when customer's are appreciative like that!

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 6:31pm
post #12 of 18

Very cool! I like the idea of giving her a little birthday treat as a thank you for the thank you!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 6:41pm
post #13 of 18

WOW !! Thats AWESOME MEL!! Congrats to you.Im sure the cake was wondeful to! Im always excited with the reg $ 10.00 TIP .Yep I think she deserves a b/day cake for herself.

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 6:43pm
post #14 of 18

I am thrilled for you! It just goes to show that what goes around, comes around....
You deserve it!

I can only imagine the mutual 'pass it on' that will come from this....she'll continue to be impressed with your work, you'll continue to go above and beyond for her....and on and on it goes.

this my friend, is the beginning of a beautiful relationship....
all we need is about a hundred more customers JUST like that....

hugs and extra blessings to you,
sally[/list]

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 6:56pm
post #15 of 18

How nice!

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 7:23pm
post #16 of 18

CONGRATULATIONS!! Your work is amazing! Doesn't it feel nice to be appreciated? icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 7:36pm
post #17 of 18

MadPhoeMom, what a wonderful, beautiful sentiment! That was just lovely!!

Thanks everyone for your support of thinking I deserved it! Some people would look at the situation and see it negatively and think "Sheesh, she didn't deserve THAT!" I mean, there is no way this cake was worth what she gave me... I don't even want to post it because I don't want to be embarassed by how much she gave me for it. I do have to say, it was really cute (in person, pix are never as good). I wanted to do more to it, but I am in the middle of an ugly kidney stone attack and had three cakes to do, and two cranky babies getting ready to come down with colds, so I kind of didn't do as much as I wanted!!

karapags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karapags Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 7:37pm
post #18 of 18

That's great.

My neighbor always gets cakes form me. Nothing to big. Just like for 15 people. I just did her husbands cake and then she just asked me to make another one for her work. It was just an 8" cake with some hunting stuff on it and I asked $30 for it but after she left I looked at the check and it was for $100. I was so excited. She told me she thinks I charge to little and my artistry and time is worth so much more. It really makes you feel so good.

Sometime I get like $5-$10 tips and get very excited about that so you could image how happy I was with a $70 tip. I am sure it won't happen again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%