9.26.08 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 3:15pm by MacsMom

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 6:48pm
post #61 of 67

Oh Leah - man I'm hurting just thinking about how tired you are!!

If the Agbay goes much higher - I won't be bidding either -- but we have to wonder about the common sense of others!!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm
post #62 of 67

AGBAY sold for $122.50 icon_cry.gif I couldn't afford it, but it would've saved about $24 when shipping is taken into account.

I'm goona go for it and buy the double blade when I can, though.

MacsMom Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:08am
post #63 of 67

I did it! A couple learning lessons:
- The wedge was probaby too big but I liked it anyway.
- The wedges should've been aligned with each other better. I didn't notice til it was too late.

Delivered fully stacked (except for the topper).

I slept one hour last night... going to bed.

MacsMom Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:10am
post #64 of 67

I forgot to attach a pic...
LL

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 10:54am
post #65 of 67

OH MY I LOVE IT!!!! That is a great looking cake Congrats I'd love to know how you id that

Molly thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 11:11am
post #66 of 67

That is SPECTACULAR!!!! yes I am yelling. One day I hope to be able to do something like that. Keep it up

MacsMom Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:15pm
post #67 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2

OH MY I LOVE IT!!!! That is a great looking cake Congrats I'd love to know how you id that

Molly thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

It was much easier than I anticipated.

With the wedge, I obviously cut stryofoam at diagonal. You have to glue a cake board onto the bottom of the wedge because that will be the base of the next tier.

Actually, it just dawned on me that that is not how I ended up doing it. You don't need to dowel to support the wedge, so I'm not sure why you need the cake board...

I had a dummy so I used that for one of the wedges, but I don't suggest it--it makes a mess cutting it. I bought the other at JoAnns which was much easier. A 2" thick circle is all you need because after you make the diagonal you can flip one piece over and glue it with the two thickest sides together.

After I made my wedges with their cake boards and covered in fondant, I doweled the bottom tier. I hammered 5 dowels through the foam and cake and down into the base board, then cut the dowels flush with the wedge. (My cake base is 3 foam core boards glued together).

Before I set the second tier on top, I did the same to it: Doweled through the wedge and cake. It is much easier to do it on a flat hard surface than try to hammer through foam on a cake at an angle.

Would you like me to draw a picture and attach it? It's hard to explain...

Next I smeared the first wedge with a thin layer of piping gel and set the second tier on top; repeat for the next wedge and third tier.

I had planned to hammer 2 long dowels all the way through the cake and into the base board, but they weren't long enough, so I marked the bottom of the top tier by dabbing food color on the tips of the dowels (already in the first two tiers) and touching the bottom of the top tier to the dowels so I'd know exactly where where to poke holes. After carefully using the tip of knife to make holes in the underside of the bottom tier, I slid it over the two dowels.

It was one of the sturdiest cakes I'd ever made! I put the topper on when we arrived at the party.

She had th ecake outside in 97 degrees! It was in the shade, but the cupcake on top was made of Rice Krispies Treats so it kept shifting on it's dowel and leaning over because of the heat.

When I cut the cake, the BC under the fondant was liquified! But the cake stood there like a champ.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%