9.26.08 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 3:15pm by MacsMom

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:30am
post #31 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

For a topsy turvey, the bottoms are actually resting flat and the tops are slanted, creating the optical illusion. I've used SPS for those.

I'm one of those goofballs that stacks my topsy's without the hole icon_razz.gif
I love shortcuts and when I saw that that is how Lindy Smith does it, I never looked back! I stack 4 foam core circles for a base board so that I can hammer 2 center dowels all the way through the cake and into the board. I've transported 3-tier topsys fully assembled without issue thumbs_up.gif

Colette's book didn't get into much detail, but I understood it enough that you place the foam wedge on it's own cake board and then the tier above rests on the wedge (I'm glueing it in place!).

So you are doweling to support the wedge with a cake on top, basically. That's fine for the second tier, but I'm going have to think through that top tier! Then I'm doing the same thing as my topsys and hammering 2 dowels all the way through it and into the base.

MacsMom Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:33am
post #32 of 67
Quote:

For a topsy turvey, the bottoms are actually resting flat and the tops are slanted, creating the optical illusion. I've used SPS for those.

I'm one of those goofballs that stacks my topsy's without the hole icon_razz.gif
I love shortcuts and when I saw that that is how Lindy Smith does it, I never looked back! I stack 4 foam core circles for a base board so that I can hammer 2 center dowels all the way through the cake and into the board. I've transported 3-tier topsys fully assembled without issue thumbs_up.gif

Colette's book didn't get into much detail, but I understood it enough that you place the foam wedge on it's own cake board and then the tier above rests on the wedge (I'm glueing it in place!).

So you are doweling to support the wedge with a cake on top, basically. That's fine for the second tier, but I'm going have to think through that top tier! Then I'm doing the same thing as my topsys and hammering 2 dowels all the way through it and into the base.

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:34am
post #33 of 67

Hi,

I worked my real job until 9:00 pm tonite then came home to decorate. I have everything baked and icings made I just have to assemble a bachelorette cake tonite for a co-worker's stagette tomorrow nite. I work again at 8:45 am tomorrow so hopefully I won't be up too late. Famous last words! lol

shellzey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellzey Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:36am
post #34 of 67

macsmom...that style of topsyturvy suits me better i think. i have conccerns about doing the other kind. to be honest many that i see seem a little warped in shape. the style you do seems to have more success in appearance...in my humble opinion =)

MacsMom Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:38am
post #35 of 67

The agbay is on ebay right now - bidding ends in 15 hours.

I was going to go for it but people who don't understand how to bid in order to get the best price keep raising it's price!

The owner paid $99 for it and it's already up to $76. I'm sure it will go for more than $99 by the time bidding ends, so I'm out of the ring.

So to you all - let the bidding wars begin! LOL.

Um... but don't bid until the last 30 seconds, and use your maximum bid instead of trying go back and keep raising it $1 at a time... so I'd bid $150 if my DH wouldn't kill me thumbs_up.gif

shellzey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellzey Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:38am
post #36 of 67

sugarplumfairy....i used to live in logan lake as a teen. my dad pastored there. i have quite a few friends in kamloops.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:39am
post #37 of 67

leahs

Its a fabric quilt, I have a air brush and love it you will have a lot of fun with it, I have two cakes and a cup cake tower coming up in october I have to make a Western Cup Cake Tower, a
pumpkin Patch Theme cake for a 1st Birthday Party and a sheet cake with a editable image I am open to any ideas icon_wink.gif please some send ideas

Molly

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:40am
post #38 of 67

I torte all cakes. The Deluxe Agbay tortes and levels the top is one pass. But yes you just make two passes to level and torte with the single blade.

Ike hit us Sunday the 14th and we didn't get power (or phone) until Saturday the 19th. We had an empty rental house that still had power, so we lived between the two houses, 'cause we certainly wanted to stay in our main house at night and keep an eye on things. But no real ovens for cake, no mixer, etc.

MacsMom Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 6:05am
post #39 of 67

Oh, geez, Leahs! Glad to hear the power is the only thing that went out.

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 6:18am
post #40 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

Yipes! I thought I was busy. I'm actually way ahead of schedule. Only a two tier wedding cake w/ kitchen cake that's almost finished-I'll put the final touches on tomorrow. I've finished my ballet tutu 3-D cake and I've only got a birthday cake for tomorrow afternoon to do and I'm all set. Okay, so I have no idea how I'm decorating the birthday cake, but perhaps inspiration will come to me in my sleep. After I smooth my icing on my kitchen cake I'm done for the night.

What's a kitchen cake?

leah_s Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 6:27am
post #41 of 67

awww . . . DH came down to check on me. He's now curled up sleeping on the sofa in the next room. icon_smile.gif

A kitchen cake is a cake rough iced but otherwise undecorated that's cut and plated from the kitchen and then served at a wedding. Different from teh wedding or display cake.

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 6:45am
post #42 of 67

Hey guys, still here too. My help just left me icon_sad.gif but she did finish all of my regular orders and I have finished icing all of my wedding cakes and now just need to stack and decorate. Hopefully I will get some sleep tonight especially since I am catering a wedding tomorrow evening and I hate when I am starting out exhausted

bafishr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bafishr Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 7:10am
post #43 of 67

Anybody out there? Just finished my Bob Marley guitar. Have to redo the strings tomorrow, they broke when I picked it up to put in the box icon_cry.gif I used 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. Guess straight fondant would have been better. Then my camera's batteries are dead icon_cry.gif

leah_s Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 9:00am
post #44 of 67

unfortunately for me, I'm still here and will keep going for several more hours.

Can you use spaghetti for the guitar strings, or is it too big?

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 9:41am
post #45 of 67

wow leahs, you wont know yourself now you know how to use that airbrush.. i have converted and use mine all the time specially on coloured cakes that are coloured all over saves trying to mix the colour into the fondant hehe... have fun.. and i am cake free this weekend yay... i had it all last week hehe.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 10:17am
post #46 of 67

I HATE BC roses! Mine are looking SO freaking anorexic it is pitiful! How can I get decent looking roses?

leah_s Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 10:37am
post #47 of 67

larger tip? More pressure? More petals?

tana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tana Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 10:39am
post #48 of 67

Hello everyone-

Leah....... What kind of airbrush do you recommend?

leah_s Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:16pm
post #49 of 67

DH got mine for me as a gift, and I have to warn you he just went to the art supplies store (he's an art professor) and bought "the best". I have an Iwata compresor and a Paasche double action airbrush. There's another thread on here that recommended an airbrush that Brownyn uses. It was substantially cheaper.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:31pm
post #50 of 67

Hubby ordered mine from KopyKakes it's the big red one I love it

Molly

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:32pm
post #51 of 67
Quote:

So Suzy, you have 2, 6" plates? 'Cause you'll need one under that 6" tier. Frankly I think I'd just use the Wilton under the 9" rather than trying to make do with that little 6". Although . . . it should work, using a 9" cardboard, of course.

I can't believe I'd ever recommend Wilton anything . . .

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

hahaha! that is what I was thinking too! Leah, you need some sleep girl!

MacsMom Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:35pm
post #52 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bafishr

Anybody out there? Just finished my Bob Marley guitar. Have to redo the strings tomorrow, they broke when I picked it up to put in the box icon_cry.gif I used 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. Guess straight fondant would have been better. Then my camera's batteries are dead icon_cry.gif

Ugh... it sucks when you work so hard to ave to be destroyed in a split second! I'll be looking for the photos when you re-charge your batteries.

My cake isn't due til tomorrow, so I went to bed at 1 am last night hoping to finish most of it today so I won't have to pull an all-nighter tonight. I get to drop the kids off at grandma's , YAY! icon_lol.gif

loriemoms Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:38pm
post #53 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:

I do the method of cutting a hole in the cake and never felt it was quite stable....can you give me more details on the form core wedge? Is that what you are talking about? Or point me in the direciton of the Lindy Smith way?

Thanks!

My friday night was thursday night..stayed up all night to finish for delivery this morning....last night went to bed early! haha! Just three weddings this week and two grooms cakes.

loriemoms Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:52pm
post #54 of 67
Quote:

DH got mine for me as a gift, and I have to warn you he just went to the art supplies store (he's an art professor) and bought "the best". I have an Iwata compresor and a Paasche double action airbrush. There's another thread on here that recommended an airbrush that Brownyn uses. It was substantially cheaper.

I got the same setup and LOVE IT. I had the cake decorator one (forget the name) and the compressor just isn't strong enough to do large cakes...so I pullled out my Iwata compressor and bought a new airbrush...it is SO much better!!

MacsMom Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:58pm
post #55 of 67

lorriemoms,

The wedge is for a tilted cake. The one I'm doing will be similar to the pic by paolacaracas, but with a "Construction" theme.

For my topsys, I just stack them like a normal tiered cake, putting a small dab of piping gel to help them stay in place and hammering 2 dowels through the entire cake and into the foam core base once it is stacked.

If the dowels aren't long enough to leave some on top to trim, or if there won't be a topper or other decor to hide the holes, then it's a bit more trciky as you have to cut holes in the cake board of the top tier to slide over the dowels.

For that, I hammer the dowels into all tiers except the top, leaving an inch or more protruding. Then I dab food color on the tips of the dowels to mark the areas where I'll have to make holes (on the underside of the top tier). It's precarious to make the holes since you have to do it from the underside, but it's not hard. Then you have to make sure that you are holding the top tier at the same angle as the tier below it so that when you slide it over the dowels it sits flush on top of the tier below.

I have never had a problem doing this, even with a raspberry filling that sits on top of a cheesecake filling (I dam it well!).

The old way was much more stressful for me, trying to make that hole just the right size so that the tier resting on the flat spot doesn't crack the dam or leave a gap that must be covered with a big border.

I saw Lindy do it in her book "Cakes to Inspire and Desire", so I I gave it a shot and never looked back.

The pink cake was huge and I delivered it fully assembled without issue. (I deliver all of my topsys assembled, but they have all been 2-tiered).
LL
LL

MacsMom Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 4:08pm
post #56 of 67

I knew it! That AGBAY on eBay is up to $122.50 already... 4 hrs to go.

loriemoms Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:32pm
post #57 of 67

Thank you! I have a cake this week that is a two tier and will give this a try...I always felt I was compromising the cake with cutting out part of it to place the next tier!!

Good luck with your agbay search! I LOVE mine! (this year I asked Santa to give me the double one, as I do torte everything!)

leah_s Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:41pm
post #58 of 67

blargh . .Im still up. Two deliveries and then I'm crashing.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:41pm
post #59 of 67

I know Mac!! Some people do NOT know how to bid on ebay. My strategy is the same as yours. You just LOOK until 30 - 40 seconds are left - then you get busy bidding!!

It's still cheaper than purchasing one direct -- but it probably won't be by the time 4:00 p.m. rolls around today?

Are you going to be bidding on it? If you are - then I won't since you found it first . . . I'll order one from the company. Just let me know.

Suze

MacsMom Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:55pm
post #60 of 67

Ugh, Leah! Stay in bed til tomorrow icon_wink.gif

No way am I bidding on it now. Shipping is only $4 and I don't know how much shipping is from the AGBAYcompany, but for the price I'd rather have a brand new one.

Heck, for those who have a single blade and want o upgrade to the double blade, at least now you know you'll get more for it than you paid if you put it on eBay!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%