How Much Should I Charge??? (Please And Thank You)

Business By kellertur Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 2:48pm by cakelady15

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:37am
post #1 of 8

Hello,
I apologize if there are already a bazillion posts like this buried somewhere in the archives, but I'm a bit confused.

I've only been "selling" my cakes for a short time, and I seriously think I'm undercharging. I'm barely charging above cost, is seems... I don't yet feel comfortable charging per serving ($ 2-3.00). Some of my carved cakes (portraits, etc) in my opinion should be charged at a higher rate.(??)
To me, this is the most uncomfortable aspect of the business... icon_redface.gif

Thanks so much ~ this info would be invaluable. icon_smile.gif

7 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:19am
post #2 of 8

Iâm not sure I understand what your question is? You are certainly worthy of charging âper servingâ because that is how cakes are priced! icon_biggrin.gif Yes, carved and other special-detail cakes are usually charged at a higher per-serving rate. No one can tell you how much to charge, but I have an article here which contains my pricing advice. In short: you need to calculate your own costs and time, and understand your local market to be able to set a fair market value on your cakes. thumbs_up.gif

And as for being uncomfortable about charging a fair price -- well, er, let me say it this way: Get over it. icon_wink.gif If you keep doing custom cakes for next to nothing, you'll become resentful and burned out. Charge appropriately! Value yourself! Yes we can!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

kellertur Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:38am
post #3 of 8

I edited some things in my original post ~

I guess I was asking if "per serving" is how cake is generally priced. Bakeries around here have prices on specific sizes, and I guess I hadn't thought much about "per serving", etc.

I have an order for a 75 serving baby shower cake (my largest so far) and felt funny charging $140.00, since I'm self-taught and still have a lot to learn. Also, these people don't have a lot of money (is that ever a factor for anyone?) I was also hoping for some pricing examples from people who are still trying to build their businesses.

~thank you for responding. I'll see what I can do. icon_smile.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:50am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

I have an order for a 75 serving baby shower cake (my largest so far) and felt funny charging $140.00, since I'm self-taught and still have a lot to learn. Also, these people don't have a lot of money (is that ever a factor for anyone?)

If money is a factor, they should reduce their guest list. 75 people at a baby shower is pretty extravagant. icon_eek.gif If they balk at the price, it may help to remember that (in the words of our own indydebi), they are not buying "a cake" for $140.00 (if that's what you end up charging), they are serving dessert to 75 people!!!

For what it's worth, I actually did a very large baby shower cake once (100 servings) and I charged $3/serving. The grandma-to-be, who was the hostess, gave me a lot of boo-hooing about how she was spending ALL her budget for the shower on the cake, and it was her only decoration, and it had to be perfect, etc, etc. Guess what? When I got to the community center where the shower was being held, it was decked out to the 9's with rented tablecloths, balloons, streamers, catered food, etc. icon_lol.gif

kellertur Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 4:03am
post #5 of 8

Thanks ~ icon_smile.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:13am
post #6 of 8

Geez.... 75-100 guesta is NOT a baby shower.... it's a gift-grab!

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:50am
post #7 of 8

thanks for the cake chart, ive been searching for it for a while!

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 8

k2cakes:

I just started my business a few months ago and I have a hard time charging the prices that I have listed because most of my customers are people I know right now. I do charge per serving though and it's a competitive rate for my area but I still couldn't bring myself to tell people I know my prices. I finally hit my breaking point this week and decided no matter who it is they will pay my price that's listed or they can go somewhere else. I won't hijack your thread with my story, but if you want to know what broke me you can PM meicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%