Smoothing Fondant

Decorating By angiev77 Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 6:27pm by melvin01

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have any tips for working with fondant when it comes to actually putting it on the cake???? I have been having health problems and was not able to go to the fondant class but I need to cover a shaped cake with fondant. What makes the fondant stick to the cake? Also, how do you smooth the fondant if the cake is not round square, etc.? (it is a violin) I know I need to crumb coat the cake with buttercream before the fondant but can i do this a day or so in advance of actually putting the fondant on?

7 replies
fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 8

You need to put icing under the Fondant otherwise the Fondant will not stick or could fall off. You can put fondant on any shape of cake. Some shapes might be so difficult to smooth out, esp. if it has a lot of corners and small spaces. Use the palm of your hands to smooth out the Fondant while the cake is elevated.

Good luck icon_smile.gif

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 8

If this helps..I have a large sheet of clear vinyl that I roll my fondant out on. Then I leave the fondant on the vinyl and lay it over the cake, fondant side to the cake. When it comes off the vinyl it forms around the cake. In doing it this way it stays very smooth.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 8

I agree, you definitely need a coating of butter cream icing to help it stick to the cake. Also, rolling the fondant on a thin piece of plastic sheeting helps you put in on the fondant by laying it over the cake after rolling and gently peeling the plastic away.

To form it you your shape, patience and gentle hands to work it around the shape without tearing it. Do not be in a hurry, take your time and just like with any other cake, lift and smooth, lift and smooth.

Best,
Karen icon_biggrin.gif

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 8

i just bought a bag of wilton disposable gloves for some fondant work i am doing and i love them! they are perfect for smoothing!! (and even better for coloring fondant!)

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 8

Do I put the buttercream on again right before I am going to put the fondant on? It seems like it would not stick to buttercream that has already set up the day before.

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 8

Angie - I usually roll out my fondant, gently cover with Saran while I ice my cake, then cover my freshly iced cake with the fondant

Yes, you are right, it will not stick well to a crusted buttercream cake!!

Have Fun icon_biggrin.gif

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 8

Apply a thin crumb coat of frosting to the cake shortly before putting the fondant on.

If it does crust on you, sometimes I will use my fine mister to spray it with water to moisten it (not too much, though. Just need to have it damp).

Don't use too much frosting since it will move and bulk under the fondant. What bumps/ridges/lines are on the cake, you will see in the fondant so make sure your cake looks like you want the fondant to look. If your cake underneath is lumpy, your fondant will show that.

Have fun and just be patient. Work the top part first, then cup your hand around the edge and work down the sides. Also make sure your fondant isn't too thick or too thin. Put it on the cake right after rolling out before it gets too dry, and if you do have any cracks or if it starts cracking, use a little bit of crisco on the edge to help work it out.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%