Fondant...i Need Help!

Decorating By janebrophy Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 8:14pm by janebrophy

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 7

I'm trying to cover a styro dummy with fondant, but the fondant keeps tearing. I've tried adding more ps to the fondant, and it doesn't feel overly sticky, at least I don't think it does. It's a square dummy, and it tears right on the corners, nowhere else! Any suggestions?? Please? icon_cry.gif

6 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 7

Usually rolling it thicker than you think you need will help. I am not sure what type of fondant it is, but you can also add some veggie shortening will help with elasticity.

Stephanie

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 7

I have not done it...but, I have heard that people file down the edges of the dummies for that very reason...

HTH,
Pat B.

janebrophy Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks, it's just storebought fondant, not Wilton, but not anything good either! icon_rolleyes.gif

I just thought it would be ok, since noone will actually be eating it! LOL! Didn't want to order in fondant for a dummy! I guess that's what I get, trying to save some $$.
icon_lol.gif

janebrophy Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by plbennett_8

I have not done it...but, I have heard that people file down the edges of the dummies for that very reason...

HTH,
Pat B.

Hmmm, sounds like something I'd try, and end up with styro bits everywhere, and no dummy left !! icon_lol.gif I don't know if I'm "artistic" enough to try that, but I may have to!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 7

There are two kinda of styro. One you can put on a counter on the hard edge and roll it. The styro will compress making a very nice, rounded edge.
If you have the other kind neither 'rolling' it nor cutting will result in a nice edge. It won't compress - just pop right back up. Cutting it will result in small balls of styro everywhere icon_sad.gif

janebrophy Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 7

I think I have the bally one! LOL! I added some more crisco, and it seems to have done the trick! At least it's much better now. I rolled it a bit thicker too. I thought styro was supposed to be easier to decorate than cake!! LOL! I'm just decorating for a picture, so the "back" with the boo boos won't be seen!
Thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%