Help! What's Wrong With My Antonia's Ri?

Baking By Pebbles13 Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 11:40pm by toleshed

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:39am
post #1 of 19

I've been making NFSC with Antonia's RI and have been having a problem with some of my icing. This has happened before, randomly, and I can't figure out what is causing it. The problem is that the icing appears to be dry (I iced them 24 hours ago), but all of a sudden something that looks like a grease spot appears in the icing and starts spreading through the icing. It started at the bottom of the cookie this morning, and is now traveling up. It doesn't look terrible, but it definitely looks darker in areas. It doesn't happen to every cookie, just some of them. Has this happened to anyone else, and would you know the cause? I'm making a cookie bouquet for some friends housewarming party this weekend and am hoping that this doesn't happen to all of the cookies. I will post a picture of the bouquet when it's all put together. Thank you so much in advance for any responses or ideas of why this is happening. (I tried to post a picture, but it has to be a certain size, and I don't know how to do that.) By the way, this is my first forum post!

18 replies
bejewelled Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bejewelled Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:19am
post #2 of 19

I'm not sure why this is happening, but hopefully this bump will help you stay on the home page until someone can help.

Pebbles13 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 19

It's hard to believe that I'm the only person who has experienced this problem, but you never know. If anyone has any ideas on what happens to my icing periodically, I'd really appreciate it. I might add that it hasn't been too humid, I didn't thin the icing any more than the other cookies (that don't have a problem), and the darkening has appeared on both an orange and yellow cookie. Thanks! (and thanks for the bump bejewelled!)

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 19

I wish I could help, haven't had that happen, but would like to hear feedback for future reference. So I'll bump you a bit more.

Also, while we're at it, my RI and TG is drying kinda dull and sometimes blotchy....could that be because it's drying in an air tight container? Sorry, pebbles, to jump on your thread here, but thought the two might be related.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 19

Is it possible that some of your cookies aren't baked quite enough to stop the butter/shortening from wicking into the RI? I don't even know if that's possible, but it sounds plausible! I know what you're talking about since it's happened to me before also, but I haven't really been all that concerned with it since I only make cookies for my family!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 19

Could it be separating a little bit while on the cookie?

Pebbles13 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 19

Thanks, Shiney. I'm attempting to post a pic and maybe that will help. I hope it is clear enough.
LL

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 19

I think I MAY have an answer for you.....did you by any chance use water to pat down any points left from the RI? I've just made some red coral from RI and did pat down my points with a brush and tiny bit of water, and when I went back to look at them noticed they looked very similar to what you were asking about. Just a thought!

Pebbles13 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 19

I can't see where the RI is separating from the cookie, and it seems to be baked enough because it's light brown on the bottom. It does make sense, though, that it could be butter wicking into the RI somehow. I only bake for family and friends, and I want to be consistent with the quality. Thanks for your responses, and if anyone has any other ideas, please post.

Pebbles13 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:53pm
post #10 of 19

Callyssa: I wish I could say yes and move on confidently with my cookie-making, but I did not use water. Thanks for the response, though!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:09pm
post #11 of 19

Did you use the No Fail Sugar Cookies (NFSC) recepie?
Are your cookies in a cool place?....my input is that the cookies may be too warm and the butter is getting too soft and running into the icing?

I've used Anotnia RI before and that didn't happend but I always use the same cookie recepie because it never fails on me...NFSC.

Good luck!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:14pm
post #12 of 19

I use Antonias icing all the time and if your NFSC recipe is/was too soft meaning a bit more butter than usual....the icing indeed will absord the grease coming out from the cookie underneath.Try baking the ccokies a bit longer...or adding a bit more flour to the dough to stiffen it up...I also decorate my cookies right from the freezer..They are easier and stronger to handle and the icing has time to set up and dry before the butter in the cookie begins to get soft and allows the icing to show grease stains!! Hope this helps!!!

Rosie2 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:14pm
post #13 of 19

One more thing...make sure your cookie is not under-baked...baked, at least, for 7mnts. Also, your cookie should be completely cooled before you apply the icing.

I know grease breaks down royal icing so, I'm thinking that the butter in your cookies is getting into the icing...my guess.
I love making cookies and it's frustrating when they don't come out how you expected.

Pebbles13 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:24pm
post #14 of 19

Wow, thanks to all of you for your helpful tips. I do think it must be the butter wicking through. I use the NFSC recipe and will try adding a little more flour next time. I always bake them for about 10 - 12 minutes (if they're 3/8" thick), and ice them after they have cooled down for quite a while. Also, I keep my house at about 77 degrees.
Kiddiekakes: you mentioned you ice the cookies right out of the freezer. The condensation isn't a problem? I will have to try that, too.
I appreciate the advice from all of you experienced bakers, and will give these ideas a shot. Thank you all so much! icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:30pm
post #15 of 19

Nope...there is no condensation...but I live in a very dry part of the country! They are much easier to ice...stronger so if you drop one slightly etc..it won't break and crumble.I find them more managable to move around and pickup than fresh from the oven and cooled.Try it!!!

Oh Yeah!! Welcome to CC!!! thumbs_up.gif

Rosie2 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:51pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles13

I appreciate the advice from all of you experienced bakers, and will give these ideas a shot. Thank you all so much! icon_smile.gif

Pebbles, I wish I was an 'experienced baker' myself icon_biggrin.gif he, he

And pleaseeeee forgive me for not mentioning this before. But, I do add one extra cup of flour when I make my NFSC recepie..sorry, I totally forgot to mention that.
From the first time I made the NFSC recepie it came out to soft for me...so I decided to add the extra cup of flour and it's perfect. But, I honestly thought it's only me since I live in a humid area.

Ok, I hope your cookies come out great! I have many cookie pics to download to show everyone, but been too busy at work.

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:03pm
post #17 of 19

Kiddikakes - that's so interesting that you frost cookies right out of the freezer with no condensation problems. I've done that once and will never do it again. My frosting ran because it mixed with the condensation. But then again, I live in a more humid climate. You'd think there wouldn't be any differences due to climate though with air conditioners.

Pebbles, I wish I could help but have not had a problem like that. Did you let them cool completely before frosting? Sorry, not much help.

Pebbles13 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm
post #18 of 19

bakinccc: I did let them cool completely. I have been thinking about it and the problem might be when I sometimes leave the dough out a little too long and it gets too soft, although I always freeze my cutouts before baking.
Off topic, but I posted the pic of my cabin/housewarming cookie bouquet.
It's my first one, so I really wasn't sure how to space the cookies and get
them at the right height. Now that I finished it, I saw things I should have
done, such as baking some of the cookies on longer sticks. All of the
cookies look kind of squished at the bottom of the basket. Oh well, live and learn thumbs_up.gif

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 11:40pm
post #19 of 19

Pebbles13
That looks great. Very nice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%