Looking For A Tender But Firm White Or Yellow Cake

Decorating By ccarroca Updated 27 Sep 2008 , 8:47am by marknelliesmum

ccarroca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccarroca Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:52am
post #1 of 17

I tried a recipe tonight that someone I know said was fantastic, but it was too light and fluffy. I like a denser cake. Can you all help. I am confused about which to use. I am tired of wasting ingredients too icon_wink.gif

I need to carve this cake to make a pillow cake. I want a rich dense cake that I can soak a simple syrup into.

I know someone knows what I am looking for. I am looking to do a lemon cake with a raspberry canolli filling.
Thanks

16 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 17

It sounds like you are looking for a scratch recipe?
If not necessary to be scratch try my *original* WASC w/lemon cake mix. I think it would be perfect. In fact, you wouldn't even need to 'soak it in simple syrup' it's so moist to begin with.

Kakeladi's *Original* WASC recipe

1 box cake mix*
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash salt

3 whole eggs
1 cup sour cream*
1 to 1&1/3 cup water*
1 Tablespoon flavoring*
*See notes at end

In a bowl, mix the dry ingredietns; a wire whisk helps.
In KA mixer bowl, place remaining ingredients. Add about 1/2 the dry ingred. Mix on low about 30 seconds; add remaining ingred and again mix on low about 30 seconds until all is moistened. Beat on med (#4 or 5) for 2 minutes. I always timed this.
Pour into prepared pans and bake as usual

*Notes:
I always use large eggs. Any cake flavor can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake. For most cakes a mixture of 1 part vanilla, 1/2 part butter flavor and 1/4 part almond is perfect. A 'part' is any measure you want to use be it teaspoon, Tablespoon; cup; quart or whatevericon_smile.gif
I make this up by the cupful and keep on hand for all my flavoring.
Some people have told me they have sub'd yogurt for the sour cream; some have used juice instead of water. I use a glass Pyrex measuring cup & fill it to the brim (more than one cup - maybe about 1&1/3?).
This makes enough batter for: one 12" round; OR 9x13 pan OR two 8" rounds; OR three 6" rounds OR one 10" sq OR other pans I can't think of right now -- the same amound of batter as if you used 1& 1/2 mixes.
Baking time will depend on the size pan you use. Start with 30 minutes. Let your nose be the judgeicon_smile.gif If you can smell it most likely it is done. If it pulls away form the pan it is overbaked.

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 17

I haven't used Kakeladi's recipe (but now that she has posted it, I will icon_biggrin.gif ), but it is basically the same as WASC that I usually use only half of the amount!!!

I think that Kakeladi is right about the lemon cake, I think that you would be pleased using this recipe. And, you will not need the simple syrup, it will be plenty moist and still dense enough to carve or stack.

Great cake all together!

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 17

I use the yellow butter cake recipe from the Cake Bible and LOVE it.

dttcb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dttcb Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 17

I am baking my last tier of WASC as I am sitting here... (what else would you do while your cakes bake, right? icon_rolleyes.gif )

WASC can be flavored, stacked, carved, whatever!!

I LOVE it!! I tried a bunch of other recipes before deciding that this was the tastiest, most versital cake. And it is always consistent!

Good Luck! I hope you try it!

Debbie

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 17

Do you use a variation on the wasc for chocolate or any other flavor. I use scratch cakes from the cake bible but see alot of people rave about wasc so I was wondering.

ccarroca Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 17

Ok I am definately going to try the wasc. Can I make it with chocolate cake mix too? I just found that the cake I made last night with the dream whip tasted cake mixy still and was too light - better today but still not right - I will still ust it for the barbie cake but I will try the wasc for the bottome of the dress - need an 8 inch to make up for the height of my batter bowl (which came out perfectly with that wilton cake release thank God).

One question - why no oil??? I am still looking for a dense cake. Will it be sense without the oil?

Thanks again everyone.

vanillabean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanillabean Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 17

You're right, there is no oil listed.

Can I ask what brand of cake mix you all use? I made this the other day with Duncan Hines white mix and my kids loved it , but it was too "wangy" for me. Both hubby and I agreed that it tasted like angel food cake, which is not bad, but just too sweet for me. I thought it might be the sour cream, but I seem to remember the last time I used DH following the Cake Doctor recipe with butter and milk, that it tasted like angel food cake also. I do not like almond flavor, so maybe DH uses that??

I will try it with another brand, and with another flavor from Duncan Hines though, as I liked how sturdy and moist it was. Thanks ever so much for posting it!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:23pm
post #9 of 17

Use the WASC (you can adjust the flavors if you like) and try the durable cake recipe which is also good. icon_biggrin.gif

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:24pm
post #10 of 17

I use Duncan Hines white cake mix when I make WASC...and the recipe that's listed here uses oil, but not much (without looking I think it's about 3-4 tbs).

It is by far the best cake I have found!

Sandy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandy2008 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:25pm
post #11 of 17

I purchased the book "Debbie Brown's Enchanted cakes for children" and in it, she has a "Maderia Sponge Cake" recipie that she uses for her 3-D cakes because it is firm, moist, and can be sculpted easily. I haven't made it yet, but it looks good.

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:46pm
post #12 of 17

here is the link to the WASC cake that I use often
http://www.recipezaar.com/69630

There are all kinds of variations, including chocolate.

I also use DH cakes

HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:06pm
post #13 of 17

.....here is the link to the WASC cake that I use often http://www.recipezaar.com/69630........
That link takes you to someone's 'tweeking' of my *original* recipe. Notice in the notes of my post: *Notes:...... "Any cake flavor can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake."

As for which brnad to use I almost always use Betty Crocker.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm
post #14 of 17

Can someone please tell me what WASC means? I've been wondering for a while now.

Thanks!!!

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:14pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

It sounds like you are looking for a scratch recipe?
If not necessary to be scratch try my *original* WASC w/lemon cake mix. I think it would be perfect. In fact, you wouldn't even need to 'soak it in simple syrup' it's so moist to begin with.

Kakeladi's *Original* WASC recipe

1 box cake mix*
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash salt

3 whole eggs
1 cup sour cream*
1 to 1&1/3 cup water*
1 Tablespoon flavoring*
*See notes at end

In a bowl, mix the dry ingredietns; a wire whisk helps.
In KA mixer bowl, place remaining ingredients. Add about 1/2 the dry ingred. Mix on low about 30 seconds; add remaining ingred and again mix on low about 30 seconds until all is moistened. Beat on med (#4 or 5) for 2 minutes. I always timed this.
Pour into prepared pans and bake as usual

*Notes:
I always use large eggs. Any cake flavor can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake. For most cakes a mixture of 1 part vanilla, 1/2 part butter flavor and 1/4 part almond is perfect. A 'part' is any measure you want to use be it teaspoon, Tablespoon; cup; quart or whatevericon_smile.gif
I make this up by the cupful and keep on hand for all my flavoring.
Some people have told me they have sub'd yogurt for the sour cream; some have used juice instead of water. I use a glass Pyrex measuring cup & fill it to the brim (more than one cup - maybe about 1&1/3?).
This makes enough batter for: one 12" round; OR 9x13 pan OR two 8" rounds; OR three 6" rounds OR one 10" sq OR other pans I can't think of right now -- the same amound of batter as if you used 1& 1/2 mixes.
Baking time will depend on the size pan you use. Start with 30 minutes. Let your nose be the judgeicon_smile.gif If you can smell it most likely it is done. If it pulls away form the pan it is overbaked.

so there is no oil in this recipe? can i use this for carving? can i add pudding mix to this?

ccarroca Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:26am
post #16 of 17

wow! Thanks ladies. I am definitely going to try this one now. I went to recipezar and liked the way that one sounded with the oil - everyone gave it rave reviews. My link didn't work, but you can look it up with the number. Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I am going to do the lemon cake version.

But now - WHICH BOXED CAKE TO USE????? i Did a taste test once and definaely liked one over another. I want to say it was betty crocker I liked better than DH. Or was it pillsbury???? hmmmmm.....

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 8:47am
post #17 of 17

I use Debbie Brown's madeira - it is perfect for carving. I always add lemon flavoring to it and my smbc just to give it a wee lift. I also use her stock syrup recipe to add a little moisture - no complaints yet. I've done a few carved cakes and they have been fine with this recipe - if you look at my pics please remember i do cakes for a hobby and am a self taught (with the help of CC) newbie.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%