Cake Tested Done, But When Flipped Out Of Pan...

Decorating By sambugjoebear Updated 27 Sep 2008 , 4:06am by TexasSugar

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:58am
post #1 of 12

My chocolate cake tested done, but when I flipped it out of the pan, it was still gooey in the middle. Has anyone had this happen to them? I've been baking for years and I've never had this happen to me-leastways not when it tested done with a toothpick!

This was my first time using the cake mix extender recipe, so I don't know if that had something to do with it or not.

Ok..I have to laugh at myself for this one...I actually put it back in the pan and back in to the oven. I've had it in there for 40 minutes longer now (checking at 15 minute intervals) and it's still not done in the middle.
Is there a fix for this or am I just gonna have to grin and bear it and make another cake alltogether?

11 replies
cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:52am
post #2 of 12

What size pan are you using and what temp are you baking at?

sambugjoebear Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:13pm
post #3 of 12

It was an 8x3 round. I was baking at 325. It had been in the oven for over an hour the first time I took it out.

After I put it back in the oven, it baked for another 40 minutes before it was no longer gooey. The top was a little hard, so I cut that off. The sides were still pretty soft so no worries there. Hopefully it still tastes ok. *crosses fingers*

I've never had to bake that size pan for almost 2 hours. That just seems a little ridiculous to me.

Has anyone else had to bake extra long with the cake mix extender recipe?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 12

Toothpick is only one indicator, and isn't always reliable at that. My favorite way is by touch... press down gently on the center of the cake. It should be firm, give slightly, and spring back. If it's doesn't then keep baking!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 12

Wow 2 hours is a pretty long time. I hope it tastes good.

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 12

I have used the cake mix extender and did not notice that it took any longer to bake my cake.

tcbalgord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbalgord Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 12

I have noticed that when i bake in a larger pan it takes a long time and I used extended mixes as well. Did you try a flower nail or the bakers strips?

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 12

Make sure your oven is at the right temperature. Do you have an oven thermometer in there?

kendi25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendi25 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 12

I have 2 things to tell you.
From my observation, when I use my 3" deep magic line pans, the cake does take a while longer to bake, and I also do not trust toothpicks. I use a skewer. And, I never test directly in the center except if it is a cupcake. I always poke the cake at an angle, from side to center.

Thanks and hope that helps in the future.

sambugjoebear Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:32pm
post #10 of 12

My cake initially baked up beautifully- I used the baking strip so it baked up nice and high and even. I tend to do two tests for doneness as well- toothpick and finger touch. Neither told me it was gooey in the center.

And sadly, no, I do not have an oven thermometer. Which is probably what I need considering my oven door doesn't shut all the way (don't ask! lol). I have a preheat on my oven and it does take a little longer to heat up, but it's never made anything take longer to bake (I made 2 of the same sized cakes the previous day without an incident).

Oh well.. hopefully all of my mishaps are done now and I can finish decorating w/o any other "exciting" moments lol.

Thanks for all the helpful insights and good wishes. icon_smile.gif

jadex77x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadex77x Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 8:22pm
post #11 of 12

this is kinda funny to me ... i had the same problem. i baked a cake late on wednesday night so it can set overnightand then i can decorate it thurday (yesterday) cake was being picked up today at 9 am for the superior couts house. anywho, toopick test was fine after baking 30 mins longer than usual and touch test was good finally... i usually trim the top of my cake after it cools but, this time i thought "let me trim now !" to my suprise the cake was still raw inside!! so i did a 2nd batch amnd this time i used a core stem in the middle of the pan... it was only an 8x3! same thing happened !!!! i thought wtf! i didnt change my recipe. everything is the same ..... except 1 thing!!!!!!!!!!! i didnt use the same butter i normally use ::sigh:: i figured the one that said "great for baking" would be ... great for baking! it wasnt ! apparently the great for beaking butter was loaded with so much oil it caused my recipe to fail on me. so i ran out to get some of the normal good butter and 3rd time was a charm.... it was perfect. FINALLY!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 4:06am
post #12 of 12

How much batter did you put in the pan. You said you used the extender recipe, did you put all 7 cups in the pan? The 8x3 takes 5 cups batter. I have found when just using a chocolate cake mix (not doctired) I actually have better luck making a few cupcakes too, because other wise it is just too much batter and takes longer to bake up.

I find at 325 the 8x3 pan usually takes at least 75 mins. Sometimes longer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%