Pregnant Belly Cake??

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 7:42pm by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:41am
post #1 of 14

who has done one of these? how hard are they? I had no doubt I could probably do one...what would you charge for a sheet cake with one of those smaller pregnant belly's on top? because I've never made one I have no idea!

any help and advice is appreciated? I need to give a price quote!

13 replies
kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:01am
post #2 of 14

I just made one...it is in my photos. I found it to be pretty easy. I baked my belly in a stainless steel bowl and the "boobs" in the mini wonder ball pan. I can't help you out on pricing, I made it as a gift for a girl I work with. HTH

step0nmi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:13am
post #3 of 14

thanks! that is some help!

anyone on price?

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:34am
post #4 of 14

I made one too! It's super simple. I never had any special pans, I just baked a 9x13 for the base. Then I baked two 9 in rounds and carved them to resemble the belly. I carved the 9x13 to look like a waist and put the 2 carved 9 in rounds on top. Walla! You can do any design, I looked at all the photos on here and got inspired! My belly cake had all the colors that were on the invitation.
Mine was also a gift to my sister in law, but If I was gonna sell it I would atleast get $100.
Hope that helps!

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:36am
post #5 of 14

Oh I also forgot to tell you that I made 2 cupcakes to make the boobies and I just carved them a little to to resemble. icon_surprised.gif

Naturepixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naturepixie Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:45am
post #6 of 14

Hi, I made one too. icon_biggrin.gif I used the 1 half of the sports ball pan for belly and mini sport ball pan for boobs. I didn't put it on another cake cause I was just making a practice cake and trying out fondant. It was really easy and a lot of fun to make.

I don't sell my cakes yet but, I was thinking about when I do, I would charge your normal regular price for your bottom cake and add $15-$20 extra for the belly cake on top. Example: 11X15 BC $35 plus belly cake $15 would be $50. That's just my 2cents icon_smile.gif Anyone else?

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 2:59am
post #7 of 14

I've made several. They are pretty simple and lots of fun to make. I would suggest covering the sheet cake in fondant too. I just found it much easier to decorate the preger on top easier.

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:07am
post #8 of 14

Here's the first belly cake I did and it was on top of a sheet cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=88476

I would charge extra as if it was another 8" cake on top. Plus the fondant, details and extra work should count as extra.

good luck.

step0nmi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:11am
post #9 of 14

oh wow! all great ideas! thank you soo much! and yea...I guess I could do the pricing for the sheet cake and then what ever is added on top! icon_smile.gif

paulstonia....that IS a good idea to cover the bottom cake in fondant too...but not many people in my area like fondant icon_sad.gif plus I use the crusting buttercream recipe on here and I find that it is mucho easy to put fondant on top of it! but thanks for the idea!

oh...did any of you do a cake board to separate the two? it doesn't seem that heavy but I am just curious!

thanks!

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:18am
post #10 of 14

I didn't use a cake board. Also I hear some people for the belly and boobs from rice crispy treats and then cover in fondant once before adding the dress.

Don't for get the outie belly button. Everyone loves that.

D

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:19am
post #11 of 14

They aren't heavy enough to need cake boards but it makes it a lot easier to cut the cake. You just take it off the top before cutting the cakes.

step0nmi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:59pm
post #12 of 14

thanks everyone! I really appreciate your help!

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 7:03pm
post #13 of 14

I have made several of these and have learned new things each time. If you are using buttercream for your base cake the best way to do the belly is on a seperate board (cut to the shape of the boobs/belly) b/c you will mess up the bottom cake when you're trying to place your fondant over the belly/boobs (well at least I did every time!) So place your belly and boobs on a seperate cakeboard - cut to shape. Crumbcoat/ice the belly and boobs together and then place your fondant dress on. I find it easier to make the dress in two parts - the bottom part from the waist down and then add the top part of the dress in two pieces or one solid piece and then add straps. (hope that makes sense) The part at the waist where the two pieces meet will be covered by ribbon/bow/embelishments to hide the seem. I also tuck the fondant under on the edges to the cakeboard underneath for a cleaner look. Then transfer the whole belly boob combo onto your base, You have to do this part sort of quickly b/c the fondant will start to dry out and you don't want it to have cracks in it as you're placing it on the bottom layer. I slide my arm under the long part of the dress and rest the cakeboard on my forearm to transfer onto the bottom layer so the fondant dress is resting on my arm so it doesn't stretch as I'm transfering it. Then I just lay it on the base cake ( I've never used dowels for support b/c I have found that it does just fine b/c it's not super heavy (one less step icon_wink.gif ) But if you think it's going to be too heavy then dowel! Then I just go ahead and add whatever embelishments/ribbons/borders/flowers/etc to bring it all together.

The last belly cake I did was the square yellow base with the white dress and it's the one that turned out the best b/c like I said I learn something new each time I do one. This is the easiest way for me b/c I mainly use buttercream on my base cakes and this gives me the least amount of mistakes to fix!

step0nmi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 7:42pm
post #14 of 14

THANK YOU SOO MUCH! such detail! you are way awesome! now I really hope I get to do this cake! and if I don't...then I will practice it! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%