Peppermint Bc Vs. Peppermint Cake

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 10 Dec 2013 , 7:02pm by docofthedead

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 22

Does anybody have any experience with peppermint flavorings? And if so, would anyone recommend flavoring the cake itself with peppermint, or just the frosting? Honestly, I'm not sure if peppermint would be more of a turn off than a turn on when making a holiday cake, but I'm considering it.

21 replies
Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 22

peppermint flavoring... hmm i have only used it for mint chocolate chip ice cream.

so i dont know if would lend itself tocake. I would say try it on a yellow cake.. and just alil flavor in the icing to start. peppermint is really a strong flavor.

good luck!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 22

I dont' know where I saw it but someone had made a chocolate cake with peppermint buttercream. They used the peppermint candies chopped up in the BC...sounded delicious to me! I think peppermint in the cake would be too much.

bathoryjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bathoryjones Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 22

I have made peppermint cupcakes and peppermint cream cheese icing. Both are good. I used a combo of peppermint extract and ground up peppermints. It's a strong flavor but if you like mint they are very yummy. I got the recipes from crazy about cupcakes book. I made them around the holidays last year and they were a hit. Only thing I will caution you with is that if you chose to put a whole peppermint on top as decoration it will bleed onto the icing.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 22

Thanks for the suggestions! I was thinking flavored cake would be a bit much, so maybe candies ground up in BC for the filling and maybe ground superfine in the crumbcoat would be just perfect! And pretty!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 22

I think adding it to the buttercream would lend more of a noticable flavoring w/o bein over powering. i'm not sure the peppermint would show through enough in the cake consistency

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 22

My mother used to make Grasshopper Brownies: a layer of brownie, then a thin layer of peppermint icing tinted green, then a coating of chocolate. It was just the right amount of mint for a kick without being to overbearing.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:34pm
post #8 of 22

Last year at Christmas I served a white cake with peppermint ice cream. It was very good without being overpowering.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:56pm
post #9 of 22

Last Christmas I made Chocolate Fudge cakes with Peppermint Buttercream Cheese frosting.

-Debbie B.
LL

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:01pm
post #10 of 22

Yikes! When I tried to do the photo attachment something went wrong. The photo really isn't fuzzy like that. I took it from my resized photos.

Sorry about that.

-Debbie B.

MrsLev557 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsLev557 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:44am
post #11 of 22

I made a chocolate cake with buttercream icing and added Creme de Menthe flavoring to the icing only and everyone loved it. I used the lorann flavoring and it only took a few drops. Kinda reminded me of a junior mint candy.

I was going to try it with a mint cookie crushed in the icing as a filling like you would with oreo's. Have not had a chance to try it yet, but on the to do list.

Shirl

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:53am
post #12 of 22

I make a chocolate peppermint cake that people rave about...dark chocolate cake with peppermint BC and ganache on top...but no peppermint in the cake.

I wonder if making a peppermint flavored cake would be okay if it was paired with a ganache or a chocolate BC rather than a peppermint BC. The chocolate might even it out.

Has anybody tried this?

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:55am
post #13 of 22

I have made chocolate cupcakes with a peppermint icing. I used a little bit of extract and smashed up some of the starlight mints and added them to the buttercream too. It was really cool, to have that little bit of crunch in the icing and smoothed out with the really chocolate cake. I have also matched it with a white cake. Both were really good. just experiment and you will find something that you like. icon_biggrin.gif

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:01am
post #14 of 22

I used my yellow cake recipe and added 1 tsp. peppermint flavoring and 1 tsp. vanilla, oh my that was a good cake!! Paired with just plain buttercream it was great, not overpowering at all! And when you were done you felt...'refreshed' icon_lol.gif

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:12am
post #15 of 22

I make a chocolate cake with peppermint cream cheese frosting. I have had many compliments. I use a decorator cream cheese for this, and I use 1/2 the amount of peppermint than the recipe calls for of vanilla. I think it would be great on dark chocolate cake, which I am going to try next.

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:43pm
post #16 of 22

I used to add peppermint flavoring to my chocolate brownies before they came out with those Andes mint chunks for baking. I always thought the flavoring was pretty good (though the Andes chunks are better).

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:12pm
post #17 of 22

I put a bit of peppermint flavoring in my chocolate cake along with peppermint BC. It is VERY good and not too much at all.

auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 12:32pm
post #18 of 22

I use a recipe from the Cake Mix Doctor, called Lethal Peppermint Cake.

My family LOVES this cake, and I make several every year for Christmas. I can't remember if there is peppermint in the cake itself, but the recipe calls for peppermint BC (with crushed candy canes or starlight mints) between the layers and a peppermint ganache all over. I have also made it as cupcakes, using the BC as a filling and they are fabulous.

One note, if you are using crushed candy in your BC and trying to put it as a filling in the cupcake, make sure that you pulverize the candy (I use a food processer). The first time I tried to fill a cupcake, the chunks were too big and I couldn't get them through the Wilton tip.

PM me if you would like the recipe.

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 12:58pm
post #19 of 22

I just remembered that I did a White Chocolate poundcake, cut into bite size pieces and dipped in peppermint white chocolate. They were really good! my first thought was peppermint in the buttercream, not the whole cake, in case someone doesn't like peppermint.

Lou-Ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lou-Ann Posted 12 Apr 2013 , 5:41pm
post #20 of 22

A

Original message sent by DebBTX

Last Christmas I made Chocolate Fudge cakes with Peppermint Buttercream Cheese frosting.

-Debbie B. [URL=http://cdn001.cakecentral.com/8/82/82045667_resized_peppermint_113.jpeg]LL [/URL]

Will you share your recipe please

icedcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icedcupcakes Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 6:11pm
post #21 of 22

A

Original message sent by mommicakes

I have made chocolate cupcakes with a peppermint icing. I used a little bit of extract and smashed up some of the starlight mints and added them to the buttercream too. It was really cool, to have that little bit of crunch in the icing and smoothed out with the really chocolate cake. I have also matched it with a white cake. Both were really good. just experiment and you will find something that you like. [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Hi! I do a similar cupcake/cake version but I find that my crushed candies melt after a day or so. Do yours do that and do you have any suggestions to make it stop? I'm thinking powdered sugar or cornstarch dusting?

docofthedead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
docofthedead Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 7:02pm
post #22 of 22

A

Original message sent by MrsLev557

I made a chocolate cake with buttercream icing and added Creme de Menthe flavoring to the icing only and everyone loved it. I used the lorann flavoring and it only took a few drops. Kinda reminded me of a junior mint candy.

I was going to try it with a mint cookie crushed in the icing as a filling like you would with oreo's. Have not had a chance to try it yet, but on the to do list.

Shirl

I have made the Oreo truffels using Mint Oreos dipped in tbe Andes flavored chips!! They were soo good. Sorry I'm not any help with the OP, but wanted to share with Shril.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%