Fresh Vs Silk Flowers

Decorating By cookieswithdots Updated 27 Sep 2008 , 11:31pm by JenniferMI

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 13

I know I'm crazy for throwing this out there, but just wanted a few opinions on this one. I'm doing my first wedding cake next Sat. and the bride is very low keyed. Her wish is for a 3 tired white cake with ivory fondant with a chocolate brown satin ribbon around each tier. She has given me the choice of fresh vs. silk. So--- opinions pls?

Thanks!
Melissa

12 replies
Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 13

I'd tend to think fresh flowers (like good gumpaste flowers) are very special -- they are fragile, one-of-a-kind. You may not be able to find every color, however (like real blue roses).

Good quality silk flowers also look good (and are a good choice is the "real" flower is poisonous). If they are nicely arranged, they can be saved as a decoration.

Since you are already doing a satin ribbon, maybe do some contrast with ivory (fresh) roses. But if the bride's bouquet is silk, then I'd likely do silk flowers. icon_rolleyes.gif

I don't know if that helps much...

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 13

If its not gumpaste then it's fresh for me.

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 13

Silk flowers have fewer issues. You won't have to worry about insects, insecticides, wilting, etc. If the bride doesn't care, I'd go with silk.

Bev55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bev55 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 13

I love to use silk flowers on my cakes. I keep a good supply on hand so I can pick the perfect ones for my cakes. One of my customers even return them to me, and I really clean them and use them again and again and again on her cakes. I just do this as a hobby (they pay for supplies), and I don't have time to make flowers even though I know how. I am have a fulltime job as a teacher, and I am busy grading papers on nights and weekends so the silk flowers are easier for me.

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 13

Fresh flowers can be poisonous. Make sure you look into that...

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:06pm
post #7 of 13

Fresh flowers look more classy to me (just a personal choice).....also "looks" more expensive, I'm sure there are great silk ones out there, but by the time you buy really nice ones, you could have gotten fresh one. I think it just has more of a wedding feel to use real, but like I said....personal choice.

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 13

I do appreciate your input. Yes-- I know to be careful of certain fresh flowers, I mentioned that to the bride. I think I can do a really beautiful job with silk, so I'll check that out first.

Second, it's stayed hot here (No. Calif) and that could be an issue as well. I'm staying confident that all will work out and I'm excited.

I'm also doing a small cake for the bride's daughter as a little surprise for her. I heard that she was very excited to be "getting a daddy" and thought it would be fun for her to feel extra special. So-- once again the silk came to mind. Thought I would make hers very simple but have it mirror the large wedding cake.

thanks-
Melissa

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:43pm
post #9 of 13

I don't like silk flowers at all. So it has to be either gumpaste or fresh flowers. icon_smile.gif

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:55pm
post #10 of 13

All you have to do or the bride is talk to a florist and let them know you want to put the flowers on the cake they have non-poisonous flowers. If its indoors or outdoors you do not have worry about insects also.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 11:07pm
post #11 of 13

for looks, I prefer fresh. A beautiful live blood-red rose on a white cake is the most beautiful thing in the world to me.

For ease of decor, food safety, etc., I tell my brides that I recommend silks. Silks can look pretty 'real' (unlike the plastic flowers that just look cheap).

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:37am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pezformom

I'm also doing a small cake for the bride's daughter as a little surprise for her. I heard that she was very excited to be "getting a daddy" and thought it would be fun for her to feel extra special.

What a wonderful surprise for the little girl.
They are going to have a great day.

-Debbie B.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:31pm
post #13 of 13

With over 30 years experience, I think I've done maybe two cakes that they insisted on me using silks. Fresh is definately better/prettier in my opinion.

HTH!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%