Now What?

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 5:19pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 5

Last Sunday my dh and I were out shopping in town. We noticed something brown and flat laying in a parking space a few spots down, we ended up checking it out and realized it was an elderly woman's change purse. I found her drivers license inside it and so we drove it over to the next town where this lady lives. Once we found her house we noticed no one was home so I stuck the change purse in her mailbox and stuck a note on it letting her know I found it in town and that hopefully that made her day and signed my name to it. So my dh and I get home and he decided that we should call her and let her know where it is at, in case she didn't see it, and then maybe something might happen to it. So as soon as he called her she said she had just found our number in the book and was getting ready to call us, she said she wanted to repay us somehow, he told her it was not necessary and that we were just glad that we were able to get it back to her safe and sound. She was extremely happy to get it back, it had medication inside as well as her money. So yesterday my dh brings in the mail and there is a card from her telling us thanks again and she put in 40.00 for gas. Now, we don't need that 40.00 for anything and we didn't do it to get anything from her. I always think of my own grandmas in those situations and was just glad it was us who found it and not a thief. Now I am unsure what to do with this money. I don't know what the proper thing to do here is .. should we send the money back and just tell her again it was something we were glad to do, or should we keep the money and send her a thank you card? If anyone has any ideas please let me know .. I'm up for any suggestions. Thanks.

4 replies
CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 5

I would not want to hurt her feelings by returning it. It probably made her feel good to reward someone for going above and beyond like you did. I would donate the money to a worthy charity, maybe something that helps senior citizens in her town?

TheCakerator Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 5

thank you , that is an excellent idea!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 5

I so agree about not sending it back. She wanted to do something kind for you. Kindness doesn't always have to happen cause you need something.

My grandma is getting older and has trouble driving, she doesn't drive on the main roads any more. The last time I was over there she asked if iI would run her to a few stores she paid me $20. I don't want her money, didn't do it for the money. I did it because I enjoy spending time with her and don't see her often enough.

She wanted to give it to me, because she felt like she had taken time out of my day and used my gas and wanted to repay me. She is from the generation where you repay kindness with kindness, not like some people now that are give me give me give me.

In the end I have learned not to agrue and just say thank you.

Send her a thank you note. If you don't need the money, pass it on to someone else that does. "Pay it Forward." icon_smile.gif

TheCakerator Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 5

thanks you guys, I talked this over with my mom and she agreed not to send it back as well, that I should send her a thank you note and graciously accept the money. This is exactly why we told her no repayment of any kind was necessary. These situations make me feel awkward.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%