Getting Your Frosting Smooth

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 27 Sep 2008 , 1:35am by tracey1970

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 14

Hi there,
I was wondering what everyone does to get their frosting smooth. It seems that no matter how hard I try, I still have lines in my frosting & can't get it perfectly smooth. Any ideas or tips?

13 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 14

melvira method.........once you try that you will never go back!!!!!

http://cakecentral.com/article83-Quick--Easy-Smooth-Icing-Using-a-Roller-Melvira-Method.html

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 14

Also sugarshcak's "Mastering the Art of Butter Cream" DVD. It will be the best money you have ever spent www.sugaredproductions.com

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 14

I use Mevira's method a lot, but I have just received Sharon's DVD (sugarshack) & it is wonderful, well worth the money.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 14

SeriousCakes has a good video on utube....there is another thread on "How To" forum board w/a link.

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 14

Mud knife from the hardware store... the best 15$ spent on any tool!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 14

melvira all the way. KHalstead is right.... you'll never go back to any other method.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 14

I like Sugarshack's technique and Melvira's technique. Both work for me! icon_biggrin.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:25pm
post #9 of 14

Here is the link to seriouscakes video

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:38pm
post #10 of 14

I think all these methods work great IF you have the correct consistency for your buttercream. That's the first step to getting smooth icing!!

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:42pm
post #11 of 14

I fill up my crock pot with water and put on high. I then constantly have hot water next to me to dip my spatula in. After I dip the spatula in the hot water for a second, I quickly wipe the water off with a towel and use it on the cake. It's like ironing out the wrinkles. icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:44pm
post #12 of 14

Yep, Melvira method and a spatula from the hardware store...hands down! I am actually making a cake tonight JUST to practice those very techniques...love the Melvira method! Don't forget though, get the foam roller that has NO texture! Home Depot had perfect ones, and in several sizes, usually two heads in a package, and you buy the handle thingy separately.

I also crumb coat, and try to get perfect with that coat before chilling, and then ice again to get the crust, and roll away!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 10:19pm
post #13 of 14

I'm excited to try the Melvira method. I've never heard of it before. And thanks for the youtube link as well.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 1:35am
post #14 of 14

I also love he Melvira method. I tried the hot spatula, and it worked for me, but only to a point. I use butter and shortening in my BC. I found that the spatula worked for smoothing only for a time, and then it seemed to cause problems. After maybe 30 minutes of that, it would make wrinkles in the icing - not sure if it was melting the butter, causing it to separate, I don't know. I do still use that method, but Melvira always works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%