Getting Your Frosting Smooth

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 11:48pm by SeriousCakes

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there,
I was wondering what everyone does to get their frosting smooth. It seems that no matter how hard I try, I still have lines in my frosting & can't get it perfectly smooth. Any ideas or tips?

6 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 7

There are many techiques that you can use. With a crusting BC recipe you can smooth with a Viva paper towel or copy paper. You can use a high density foam paint roller (the Melvira Method). I like to use a bench scraper to get really smooth sides.

One other thing that I found when I first started decorating was that I was making my frosting too stiff and that was making it difficult to get smooth and to work with. Different types of frosting can be tricky as well. I struggle with Cream Cheese BC.

HTH

Stephanie

lgrtaust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lgrtaust Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 7

Try the high density foam roller (melvira method) It is posted on this website under forums. It is the best at getting cakes absolutely smooth. The viva method or parchment paper works but I found that the roller was the best!

lgrtaust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lgrtaust Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 7

Im sorry the melvira method is under decorating articles..........try it, it works so well.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgrtaust

Try the high density foam roller (melvira method) It is posted on this website under forums. It is the best at getting cakes absolutely smooth. The viva method or parchment paper works but I found that the roller was the best!

Ditto to all that!

LovesPekes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovesPekes Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 7

I think Sugar Shack's DVD on buttercream is a must. You will amaze yourself at how smoothly you can ice a cake. Her tips and tricks of the trade are well worth the money. You can check out her work and DVDs at http://hometown.aol.com/szcakes/myhomepage/index.html

Kim C

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 7

Viva all the way!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%