Best Fondant?

Decorating By jordanaz Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 3:40pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

jordanaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jordanaz Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 12

Hello! So I'm new to this forum, and anything that has to do with fondant or gumpaste!

I'm just wondering what the best fondant is? I don't know if I should buy one, or try to make one... I bought one from Michael's but it doesn't taste good! How would I get people to avoid eating it on a cake? haha

Help!

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 12

Most people don't care for Wilton's fondant but it can be flavored - just knead in any flavoring you want. It's great for practiceicon_smile.gif
Most on here seem to like SatinIce.

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 12

Hi and welcome,
You can make your own. The recipes for fondant on this site are very good.

Or you can purchase fondant. Chocopan and Satin ice fondant are my favorites.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 12

For purchased fondant, I like Fondarific. The buttercream flavor is worth the price.

I don't like Satin Ice at all. It dries too fast, too hard, too matte, and the taste is weird to me.

I've heard good things about FondX, but haven't tried it yet.

I prefer my version of Rhonda's MMF because it's inexpensive, tastes good, and stays soft when you cut it with a fork (with the cake--better texture than most):

16 oz mini-marshmallows (NOT Jet-Puffed. I use Wal Mart brand)
2 T water
**Grease a micro-safe bowl, add MMs, sprinkle with water, melt 1 minute, stir, add**
1 T glycerine
1 t popcorn salt (or grind regular salt in a coffee grinder - you'll get crystals if you don't)
1 dram LoRann butter flavor (or 2 t Wilton clear butter flavor - LoRann is the best, though)
**stir and gradually add**
2 lbs powdered sugar

Start by stirring in 1/2 c of PS to absorb moisture before dumping in more to help avoid clumps. Each time you add PS make you you stir it well so that it's well absorbed before adding more. When you are down to the last 1/3 of the bag, dump it in and knead with your greased hands. Form a ball and wrap with plastic wrap to rest at least 4 hours. To re-soften, place it in the micro a few seconds at a time and knead. If it is too sticky from accidentally over-heating, knead in cornstarch a little at a time or just let it cool again.

jordanaz Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 12

wow! that was quick! thank you!

eznoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eznoc Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 12

Satin Ice is the best fondant! you can buy it here,

http://dandgoccasions.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_9_10&products_id=7

It is only 6.75

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 12

I love Michelle Foster's Delicious Fondant recipe, you can find it right here on CC. The only ingredient that can be somewhat of a challenge to find is glycerin, but most health food store where I live sell it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

HTH!
thumbs_up.gif

Edited to add the link and to mention that I also have tried Satin Ice but did not particularly care for it, I guess you either love it or hate it.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 12

Wilton has glycerine. Everywhere I've found Wilton products I've also seen the glycerine (it's with the extracts). But I buy mine in larger bottles online, now.

jordanaz Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:21am
post #9 of 12

has anyone tried the fondant from Creative Cutters (in Richmond Hill). That store is the closest to me and I'm planning on making a trip out there tomorrow... I'm just wondering if it's worth it to buy it from there or not!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 12:32am
post #10 of 12

I also love Satin Ice.

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:58am
post #11 of 12

Yes, Creative cutters fondant, ML sugar paste is very good.

My favorite recipe is Michelle Fosters. I have not put it on a cake yet, as I just keep testing/tasting it. Yum! I can not stop myself. It is my job icon_cool.gif, and someone has to do quality control. icon_wink.gif

Satin Ice rolled thin, 1/8 inch over really good buttercream icing is excellent. I have a custom design wedding cake shop and my customers love it!

You will find most fondant is good. Some are just better than others. It is just what you like. I love finding different products for my brides. I have wayyyy too much fun!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:40pm
post #12 of 12

CindiM, i can relate. My cousin and I were making fondant accents and she kept eating the fondant "mistakes" cause i told her she could. I swear she made more mistakes just so she can eat it. LOL MFF is delicious!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%