Email And Misc

Business By Kitagrl Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 11:42pm by indydebi

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:16am
post #1 of 8

So has it become customary that if the answer to anything is "no" or "never mind" that email is not sent confirming this?

Seems like from Craigslist to cake correspondance, etc...if someone changes their mind, they just drop correspondance. Am I the only one who feels its only right to drop a note saying "Oh okay thanks anyway, but no." I've kind of stopped doing it lately, wondering if its just clogging up people's inboxes if that type of reply isn't "in" or something.

So anyway on Monday got an email from a caterer, seemed reputable from their website...who liked my stuff and wanted to meet "this Friday" (to me sounded demanding) to possibly discuss me being their exclusive cake maker. Something rang funny about it but I just replied a little about myself (home licensed business, limited orders) and gave them some pricing ideas. Then said we could meet.

I never heard back.

Then my hub went to the cake supply place (Oasis) to get me a few things and the nice older man who owns it (sooo friendly)...my hub kinda told him about the catering thing (he always sees $$$) and the caterer said "You guys be careful about those caterers, they don't pay well." Turns out he was probably right, since I put pricing in my email and they never wrote back.

I don't think I would want to be the "exclusive" provider for a caterer anyway. I mean yeah, more orders...but also at the mercy of their schedule and not my own...plus having to turn away my own regulars and customers...nope, I don't like the idea.

Anyway...any caterer that orders from me will pay the same price as any bride...no discounts here! Seems like once in awhile I get some caterer or somebody who thinks since I work at home I'll be a nice cheap way for them to offer nice stuff to their clients (and make money off of my work too). SORRY! haha.

7 replies
littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 8

yeah, sometimes just more work isn't the greatest thing....

i had a chicken fast food chain that wanted me to do all the cakes for their birthday party package...at a discount, there would be so many ....

well, making the same cake with a chicken with boxing gloves on day in/.....and day out....didn't seem like what i wanted my life to be like.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 8

Sometimes, I don't think it's intentional. I get many e-mails in a day. If I know what my response is immediately, I will respond right away. If it's something I need to think through before I respond, it will sit in my inbox until I know how I would like to respond. Sometimes things have gotten buried too long and I never responded. It wasn't intentional, that's just how my brain works.

(This does not apply to customers placing orders)

holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 8

I'm the total opposite, I reply to every email right away. It's kind of an obsessive compulsive thing I guess. I hate it when people ignore or take forever replying to my emails so I'd hate to do that to someone else.

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by holoien003

I'm the total opposite, I reply to every email right away. It's kind of an obsessive compulsive thing I guess. I hate it when people ignore or take forever replying to my emails so I'd hate to do that to someone else.

100% AGREED icon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:

I do too...I keep my inbox completely clean and sorted except the emails I have to reply to. Once I reply, I delete or move to folder.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I do too...I keep my inbox completely clean and sorted except the emails I have to reply to. Once I reply, I delete or move to folder.

It's great to hear that I'm not the only one!! I sort my sent box too...*sigh* icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 8

I try to respond right away, otherwise I know they will get buried pretty fast and I'll end up overlooking them! If I don't have the info to be able to give a full answer, I'll try to send a response to let them know I'll reply later ("I dont' have my calendar with me .... let me check my schedule and I'll get back to you tomorrow.")

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%