Help! Buttercream Consistency Mistake And Fondant

Decorating By lh Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 4:32am by Cakepro

lh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lh Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:49am
post #1 of 4

I just made a huge batch of buttercream and accidently made it a thin consistency. I usually use medium consistency under fondant covered cakes. Will thin buttercream just smoosh all over the place underneath the weight of fondant? Adding more powdered sugar will make the buttercream way too sweet but i'd hate to throw this batch out and start new. Any advice? Has anyone done this with no issues?
Thanks!

3 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:51am
post #2 of 4

Just ice your cake normally and put it in the freezer for 15 minutes before putting fondant on it, so you are applying the fondant to a hard chilled surface. Easy-peasy, no worries. icon_smile.gif

lh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lh Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:28am
post #3 of 4

if i chill the buttercream, when it starts to defrost, will it make the fondant look bumpy or start seeping from underneath the fondant?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:32am
post #4 of 4

Nope. As long as your buttercream was nice and smooth to begin with, it will be just fine. Smooth your fondant quickly and let it set for a little bit just in case the fondant gets a little bit sticky, which happens from time to time. I never put fondant on room temp buttercream - it is infinitely easier to do it on chilled buttercream. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%