My Son's First Birthday

Decorating By avgsuperheroine Updated 27 Sep 2008 , 6:35pm by avgsuperheroine

avgsuperheroine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avgsuperheroine Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:10am
post #1 of 3

I can't decide what to do for my son's first birthday cake. His party is Sunday so I need to buy ingredients soon. Here are some ideas we had but none of them are really hitting home with me:

- he's the fist of our kids to get ANY teeth before his first birthday, and he has five already, so I thought maybe a big tooth, but there's not much "decorating" so it seems kind of boring.

- he's a big boy (his name is Malcolm, and we call him mo, so his nickname is sumo cause he's hefty) and my DH said he thought king kong would be cute because he reminds him of king kong when he plays with his toy cars. I just think king kong seems too "old" for a first birthday.

Otherwise, he's one. He doesn't really have hobbies yet, or even really a favorite toy. I do pretty well sculpting cakes, and I prefer fondant covered cakes (I have a real hard time with buttercream). I've already done cars twice (he has two brothers) so I'd rather stay away from that. Any ideas would be great.

2 replies
sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:05am
post #2 of 3

I have 3 boys as well and they are fairly close in age to one another so I can understand the dilemma of finding the right cake that would be special enough. The only idea that came right to mind for me, would be to maybe do a train cake with the head locomotive kind of smiley and friendly and then you can add little cars behind it, each carrying something like : one with a tooth with a smiley, one with a little sumo wrestler, 1 with king kong or whatever else you can think of and make the tail end one with a numbered block with a big 1 on it. Not sure if that is even what you are interested in but I think since you have good experience with carving it would be a great cake to do and you can go as detailed as you want with it, all the while incorporating special family things into it icon_smile.gif Good luck! Can't wait to hear what you came up with.

avgsuperheroine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avgsuperheroine Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you-

I did decide on a smiley face (a yellow one) with the little teeth he's got. It will give me a chance to practice my buttercream stuff since so far I'm really not good at it yet. Practice makes better, though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%