Mil 50Th Birthday Gift- No Idea!?!?!

Lounge By absijails Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 3:28am by margaretb

absijails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absijails Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 5

My MIL is coming to visit us over her 50th birthday. We've not been around (have moved across the country) to celebrate her birthday in years. This year not only is she going to be at our house, but she's celebrating her 50th. We have NO IDEA what to get her. I think because we want it to be something really special. There are lots of things I can think of that she would like, but would rather not get her a salad spinner for such a special birthday.
She's a master gardener, enjoys cooking and does stained glass. I'm going to try to make her a stained glass cake and our kids have made her stepping stones for her garden. Any ideas on a gift from us? I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks so much!

4 replies
moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 5

Has your MIL every tried Fused Glass? It is along the same lines as stained glass, but instead of joining the pieces with lead or copper foil you melt the glass together in a glass kiln. It is really fun. The smallest glass kiln would cost about $400, but maybe you could give her a book, some dichroic glass (expensive but really cool) and a gift certificate.

A good introduction to Fused Glass is Contemporary Warm Glass by Brad Walker.

I shop at for my glass supplies at:
Delphi glass www.dephipglass.com
Warner Crivellaro www.warner-criv.com
Alpine Glass www.alpineglass.com

And if she decides not to get into Fused Glass, she can use the gift certificate for her regular stained glass supplies.

nancylynwallace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylynwallace Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 5

I'm not sure how much $ that you want to spend, but one of my best presents that I got was some pampering at the spa. A relaxing hot rock massage, a facial and a whirlpool spa bath. It was heaven!

HTH
Nancy

absijails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absijails Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the ideas!
My aunt has mentioned the fused glass, so that sounds like a great book for her! I'll check out those sites, too.

I think my FIL is getting her a day at the spa...one of my all time favorite gifts, too!!

Thanks again!
abby

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:28am
post #5 of 5

Cooking -- maybe some kind of gourmet ingredients? Fancy cheeses or spices or something?

Stained glass -- gotta go with hobby equipment or gift certificate to a supply store or something.

Gardening -- tough. Tempting to get a fancy plant of something, but is it something she would want to actually have in her garden? Ohhh -- if you also mean vegetable garden, maybe try to get some heirloom seeds -- stuff like the old fasioned tomatoes or corn in different colours. I've read from time to time about groups getting into the heirloom seeds, so I bet they are available for purchase somewhere. -- I just googled "heirloom seeds" and they are available for purchase, and there are both vegetables and flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%