How Do You Find Out... (Business Name Question)

Business By kellertur Updated 27 Sep 2008 , 12:55am by tannersmom

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all,
I'd like my business name to be something meaningful to the types of cakes I do... How do you find out if the name you'd like to have/use is already taken, or legally owned by someone else, etc....????
To be honest, I don't trust "google" searches to be accurate, etc.
Is there a website I can look up? It would really stink to start using something that someone else is legally using...

thanks, and I'm rambling as usual icon_redface.gif

9 replies
jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 10

Usually your Secretary of State website has a business entity search. You can usually do a copyright search there to find out of your business name is already copyrighted. Its also a good idea to check the federal copyright website to see if it has been federally copyrighted. Just because the name isn't in use doesn't mean it hasn't been copyrighted.

Good Luck!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:49am
post #3 of 10

INternet searches is at least a good start. I'm working on starting a third company and I've been researching names. Most already had websites somewhere, but I've narrowed it down to a couple ..... my attorney will do the final search and give his stamp of approval because he has access to databases that I don't.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:12am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

INternet searches is at least a good start. I'm working on starting a third company and I've been researching names. Most already had websites somewhere, but I've narrowed it down to a couple ..... my attorney will do the final search and give his stamp of approval because he has access to databases that I don't.

i'm so nosey, i gotta ask, is the THIRD co food related?...or have you started that book?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:18am
post #5 of 10

yes and yes. we're just not ready to announce anything yet, but trust me, when it's ready for launch, y'all will be the first to know! thumbs_up.gif

kellertur Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:21am
post #6 of 10

Thanks~

I did some searches and the name I'd like doesn't seem to be taken,
at least in our state anyway.

I guess it pays to have a FIL that's a lawyer... ( I can't believe I never thought of that... dunce.gif ) His college buddy is the CAKE GENIUS that made our wedding cake and got me interested in cakes ) If only I could apprentice under THAT guy...

www.jacquespastries.com

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:10am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

yes and yes. we're just not ready to announce anything yet, but trust me, when it's ready for launch, y'all will be the first to know! thumbs_up.gif

wow!....how exciting indy!...good deal!

katefrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katefrosting Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 5:45am
post #8 of 10

Besides your Google search, do a state search. If you want to find if anyone has the name federally trademarked (copyright applies to original works of authorship) you want to check on TESS. Just type it in and you will find it on the first page. If you want to trademark it see an attorney. You don't want to use a name that has federal trademark protection. To get a good overview of this topic, se Patents, Copyrights & Trademarks For Dummies.
Good luck in your business. Keep us posted.

kellertur Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:44am
post #9 of 10

Just wanted you to know I checked with our state office today and YAY...

the name I'm choosing isn't taken yet, not even anything close...
and it will only cost $60.00 to register the name. It's mine, all mine... heh heh heh (sinister laugh while rubbing hands together... icon_razz.gif )

Thanks for the advice. thumbs_up.gif

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:55am
post #10 of 10

I became legal yesterday and have to register my name with the register of deeds. IT cost $14.00.

Now if I could only come up with a name!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%