Hard Mmf! Help Please!

Decorating By diana83 Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 12:21am by MacsMom

diana83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diana83 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 4

i have just made some MMF but it looks as if it will crust, i had left it for a little bit on counter to get something to rap it with and it harden realy fast, i had add some corn sirup my teacher told me i could add it to make it losse and it help but i still know is going to get hard. should i add something or just buy some, i need it for tomorrow. TIA

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 4

I've only made MMF once or twice. I know it can be tricky icon_sad.gif
As I remember it does get hard and to soften it put it in the MW oven for just a few seconds - depending on the size. I would put in baseball size pieces, nuke for 10-15 sec and kneed it while repeating w/more....then kneed it all together.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 4

I made many a batch of mmf though i'm still in the rookie stage of working with mmf.. couple weeks ago a friend of mine and i were working with it; rather i was teaching her how to make it; i made one batch; turned out perfect... made a 2nd batch same amount of ingredients but it came out super super soft and no amount of p.s. added to it would help it solidify! it Really was like silly putty almost lol..

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:21am
post #4 of 4

Glycerine acts like the corn syrup to make it more pliable and easy to work with. I prefer glycerine over corn syrup.

After you make it, you should coat your hands with shortening and rub it around the ball of MMF before wrapping in plastic wrap to help keep a crust from developing if it won't be used for several days.

MMF naturally hardens as it cools off. To softenit for kneading and rolling, place in the microwave a few secinds at a time. A full batch (16 oz MMs) may take a full minute to soften up enough, but smaller portions will heat up surprisingly quick.

If it gets too sticky to work with, add corn starch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%